Swamp Bog/Two Cocks Breweries

No, I’ve never heard of Swamp Bog either. However they have just bought Two Cocks brewery. Both sets of beers will continue to be brewed at the Two Cocks brewery… but should Swamp Dog and Two Cocks have separate listings? Or now that Swamp Bog own Two Cocks should the latter be retired and the beers transferred to Swamp Dog? Or should Two Cocks be renamed Swamp Bog with the existing beers then remaining as Two Cocks and new beers being added with the brewery name being whichever’s relevant.

https://westberkscamra.org.uk/magazine/ullage-winter-2019-20/

Every time I think I’m closer to ticking off all the new Berks breweries… there’s also a new one in Reading called Phantom (who have a very impressive looking taproom - would have gone there if I knew they existed as it seems to be on route to Double-Barrelled - and over 200 rates on Untappd) and Delphic in Thatcham.

Probably the best would be to change the Swamp Bog Brewery address and to add (Two Cocks) in the name with updated brewer’s description describing the sale?

Swamp Bog are not are not actually on Ratebeer yet.

I’m preferring option 3 personally. Change the current name to Swamp Bog (really?!) and include the Two Cocks withing the name, something like

Swamp Bog Brewery (including Two Cocks Brewery)

This brings up both on searches. Really don’t want a single brewery with two listings.

1 Like

Having 2 brewery names under 1 entry will probably be a source of wrong beer entries in the future.

Why not just put a mention on Two Cocks that they are owned by the other?

Swamp Dog - I mean Bog! - beers now seem to be popping up in Berkshire pubs so I guess a decision needs to be made. Although it appears to e pubs in the likes of Hungerford and Thatcham so looking at 12 months or so until anyone rates one on here.

(Also spotted another new Berks brewery, Mortimer. So far only appear to have brewed to order for events but beers will be available in the New Year.)

I would suggest naming them:

Two Cocks (Swamp Bog)

And

Swamp Bog

I think this fits with how other owned breweries are named. We have a few “brewery name (Marstons)”, for breweries owned by Marstons. And locally to me Docks (Axholme).

1 Like

I’ve gone for this then and have added the Swamp Bog brewery, with a beer to make it visible!

2 Likes

I was going to suggest that as Brakspear/Witchwood occured to me, what with the shared brewery, even of it does mean another brewery to track down.

Reading Swamp Bog’s bio they have been running the bar at some music festival for a couple of years with one of their beers solely available on that bar, so suspect that it was contracted to Two Cocks.

The Brakspear situation is slightly different, it is genuinely brewed on a different kit within the same building. The old brewing kit was moved from Henley and is purely used for Brakspear beers, this is why we kept it separate at the time. I’m happy to go with keeping these two separate for now anyway. The Hawkshead / Sadlers situation is going to be one to keep an eye on though.

One of my favourite moments at any Reading Beer Festvial. Going up to a couple of bearded volunteers behind the bar and saying “can I have a taste of your two cocks please?”
and then sitting down and loudly proclaiming “I love the taste of two cocks.” and “the mouthfeel of two cocks is great.” And as for swallowing two cocks, well then…

I seem to remember the Two Cocks guys were on grand designs. I think they built something quite modern in a conservation area and the planning permission meant they had to run a farm or something.