The Case of the Apostrophe ' aka ' special character

I know it(’)s not probably not new but we french people like to use that special character lot. You english people use it too, don(’)t you? (see what I did there)
If someone does a search using that character, you don(’)t receive any result.
for example, try finding “La Gare’nison” or “La Gare nison” brewery and you won(’)t find any beer or brewer results unless you type “La Garenison” or “La Gare( & #39; )nison” (which seems to be the character equivalent when you add a new beer from them on the database)

Coould this be fixed?

1 Like

Same thing BTW with ( aka & #40;
and ) aka & #41;

Searching La Gare’nison finds the brewery and beers for me.

Well now the search also return results to me too…that’s weird… I hope it stays that way :stuck_out_tongue:
but the & #39; still appear on the Add Beer page…

here’s 2 characters (with even more variants) representing the apostrophe
( ’ ) U+2019 the one that **** it all
and
( ’ ) U+0027 the one used with standard keyboard, and the one googlemaps uses

You would need to force the first one to be displayed as the second one…because right now, it causes a lot of trouble with Places Display, Beer listing order, etc…
This would mean to force (U+0027), (U+2019) and maybe also (U+201B), (U+02BC) and (U+2018) to become all the same, site wide to prevent those problems.
@joet

Note that the forum handles all of them without problem, not like the website

PLEASE CHECK THIS THREAD. @aww @services

Could this be finally fixed? @services

@Viper666.Qc

Looking at some of those test cases above it looks like provided it’s all UTF-8 it works properly. There might be some cases where there is some old data that’ll need to be updated though.

Regards,
Services @ RateBeer

https://www.ratebeer.com/places/countries/39/

From this page, Try clicking on any place with an apostrophe. It still doesn’t redirect correctly.

https://www.ratebeer.com/p/microbrasserie-le-fermentor/73065/
From this page, Try clicking on the city link on top. It still doesn’t redirect correctly.

On the Beer Search, type Gare’nison… None of the 100 first result results in La Gare’nison microbrewery beers…

try searching for

ours brun west coast IPA

no result

but

lours brun west coast IPA or l’ours brun west coast IPA will give you the result