The road to Berlin

Day one and we booking into our hotel in Remscheid.

<*))))))><

3 Likes

Nice, how on earth did you manage to end up in Remscheid? What are your further plans in that area?

We are travelling via obscure places to Berlin and back from the UK, staying in or close to brewpubs. Monday afternoon we arrived here, it’s pretty quiet as the photo’s show:

Oh, I also collect bridges, so another reason to pick Remscheid; but that’s tomorrow before we head closer to Berlin.

<*))))))><

5 Likes

I am so jealous right now. I want fresh German lager!!!

3 Likes

But better from Franconia… The Lagers in this part of Germany are hardly better than in the U.K. :wink:

2 Likes

After trying our third draught beer at our hotel we had a little walk into the ‘new’ town centre and really liked two places, neither however are worthy of being added to the database for Beer sampling.

Brickhouse Saxo Bar was lovely, but their house Pilsner being Bitburger doesn’t tell the whole story. I noticed on the menu they had Benediktiner Weissbier Banana, a new beer to me, so I ordered one. Imagine my horror when after the initial pour of a regular Benediktiner the barman added a load of Banana syrup into the glass!

Next up was Remscheider Brauhaus. Again the Pilsner was Bitburger, I had a Frankenheimer Alt. This old style traditional German boozer was great, but we noticed everyone else was over 70 and very ‘German’, just seemed odd compared to the other bars we found in the town. We however fitted in well, although a little younger than the regulars.

Bar Baya gave me Warsteiner and we didn’t bother with Bar Cell O’ner ( or something close).

More exciting reports and photos tomorrow!

<*))))))><

2 Likes

My German isn’t fantastic, but how a request for Peanuts (Erdnuss) turned into a basket of chilli nachoes with salsa is beyond me. Young serving girl in Bar Baya must have heard something else in her head.

Reminded me of an time many years ago in Sardinia. There was 11 of us and we didn’t know the Italian word for 11. The best we could come with was “Deci-Uno” (10-1). So Deci-Uno Birra got us 11 beers the first two times we ordered. We then sent the youngest in our party to get 11 more, as the staff had disappeared. He came back with 3 cold Pizza!

<*))))))><

Does Remscheider Bräu pour the seasonal “Remsch” right now? Want to go there on Thursday if so.

No, just their regular Pilsner and Duuster, plus a Pale Ale at the moment. The Pale Ale was fresh on yesterday as when we arrived it wasn’t available but it was at 18:00.

<*))))))><

Breakfast taken under the highest railway bridge in Germany:

<*))))))><

1 Like

Second day sees us ruck up in Lauenau and lunch was here.

Thought the whole place was lovely, the beer and food very good too.

<*))))))><

My word that is a high bridge Jeremy.

1 Like

Rupp Bräu, a great place! Good beers too. I have been there once with my family. Stayed in a hotel neaby for one night.

1 Like

Your wife seems to enjoy beer, where are you?:joy:

1 Like

Have a nice trip, being a German this is actually an area if never really touched so I am interested in your posts. Cheers

2 Likes

Just for you Mat, and anyone else that is not really interested;https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Müngsten_Bridge

<*))))))><

I am into my 41st year of marriage, where you are in the world doesn’t matter too much! Margie does like beer, but she also likes wine, G&T, Dark Rum, Port and the occasional punch up.

<*))))))><

Rupp is a good choice. They do the best Lagers in Lower Saxony and these beers are far better - that’s understood - than the Warsteiner and Veltins dishwashers.:grin:

1 Like

Yes, the beers were fresh and interesting, however I also used to enjoy a Veltins and Warsteiner back in the 1970’s and 80’s. Times have changed sadly.

<*))))))><

When finally in Berlin, try to spend some time at “Foerster’s Feine Biere” in Steglitz. They offer a really well chosen selection of the finest german Lagers, e.g. Fiege Pils and the unbeatable Schönramer Pils, in my humble opinion the best german Pilsened at all…:beer:

2 Likes