The Tuesday Stat Attack: 4 Northern Ireland

I’ll confirm in a few weeks when I visit Belfast. However, last time I made an order specifically for Inishmacsaint I got a call few days later that they were refunding me as they actually didn’t have it in stock although the site allowed me to purchase it.

SHIG, sir! They had Inishmacsaint in the Vineyard when I swung by at the end of July, so I assume it was bad luck for you or bad stock count by them - their online system won’t be linked to their till system, which is really manual (the guy was typing in the amounts rather than scanning).

But also note the comment re KWM carrying them now too.

In County Fermanagh where I’m originally from (and spent the first 18 years of my life) you can buy them in the local Costcutters.

2 Likes

Cheers thanks for the info. Makes more sense now, just wish I had known as those beers were what I really was after and shipping to Suffolk was not cheap for others I could have purchased in UK online. Haven’t wrote them off as I will visit in person in a couple weeks.

Norn is my 9th most rated country, with a huge 16 rates. Although the bulk of these have been from Co. Antrim, I have actually managed to bag 4 different counties (the missing ones being Co. Fermanagh & Co. Tyrone).

No outstanding brews so far, my top ones are:
Hilden Mill Street (5.5%) 3.6
Farmageddon India Export Porter 3.6
Farmageddon Wet Hop IPA 3.5

My rates come from 6 different breweries and 2 cideries (several from when there was a Northern Ireland Producers stand at the Good Food Show in Brum, which is always a good place to head for new breweries!). My most rated producer is Hilden.

I’ve never been to Norn, so no place rates I’m afraid. I am very jealous of @jow having climbed Slieve Donard, which would very much be top of my bucket list if I was ever to go there. I’d also very much like to walk The Gobbins, which is a lot more attractive than its name suggests:

3 Likes

Have a total of 40 Northern Ireland ticks. Never been there but get a few over here (remember a Taphouse Boundary TTO accounts for quite a few of those)

8 breweries in total, with most from Boundary (and most from said TTO) here are my top 10…

• Northern Ireland
4 Likes

In stock at The Vineyard. That place was awesome to visit a bit overwhelming as they only allow 4 customers in at a time. They have a rather large selection for the size of the place.

6 Likes

Good to see you nailed them down eventually, sir! Solid traditional styles rather than anything mindblowing! The Vineyard does seem to have every possible shelf space taken up with beer - the guy who served me last time I was in said they had around 400 beers in there. That seemed an exaggeration but might not be.

The other brewery in the county might actually have disappeared and I don’t think Inishmacsaint has produced a new beer for at least a couple of years, meaning that’ll be our lot for sometime… unless something major changes, and things don’t change particularly quickly in Fermanagh.

2 Likes

Just put in an order with KWM. All four Inishmacsaint beers plus a few others from Northern Ireland and the Republic. Gonna be a good Christmas.

2 Likes

Not much to add but for the record I have had 14 NI beers made up of Boundary (7) and the rest a mix of Beer Hut, Hilden, Bullhouse and Heaney.

I have found Boundary a bit hit and miss as from only 7 rates my scores range from 2.1 to 3.7. They hold the top 3 in my best NI beer rates but the lower score beer tasted infected and made me wary of buying any more if in my price range. Either it was an unfortunate fluke/my wonky taste buds or they need to improve their quality control.

5 Likes

Yeah, i stopped rating or if comfortably be ahead, been living here 12 years now after all… Beer scene much improved though still mostly smallpack with relatively few places offering NI brews on draught, even fewer after spoons sold a number of their outlets. Majority are in Belfast which I get to once every few months, less so in the last 2 years of course. Still sampling plenty via my local offy the winerack, kwm via mail order and vineyard whenever I make it over plus the odd NI beer in boxes of Irish stuff from yards and crafts and beercloud.

Remember to tag me if you’re ever heading over, I still see the emails but don’t drop by forums very often otherwise

Slàinte!

BUMP!!!

It’s great re-visiting old Stat pages to see the differences and how the numbers have risen. Not 29 to get onto the leaderboard, 36 needed now, but the top half has risen a lot!

How times have changed: most ratings By Country | RateBeer.com

<*))))))><

1 Like

Yikes looks like I only rated another 9 NI beers in over 2 years since I last posted on this thread. Currently on 23.

I think my next Beer52 box will be NI so that will help my numbers excepting the fake brewery beers of course.

1 Like

If you’re feeling flush and fancy some decent NI beers these guys have a good selection. I’ve used them 3 times and not been disappointed yet. Others have used them too.

KWMWine.com

<*))))))><

2 Likes

Well I have at least now gone above zero rates for NI - am currently sitting on 2! Challenge for the year is to get to 10 - plenty of time for me to fail that one :face_with_peeking_eye:

1 Like

43 NI ratings for this Norwegian, and only 1 visit to the province. The best NI beer I’ve had was Boundary Talk Less Smile More (a good advice). The worst I’ve had were 2 beers from College Green: Headless Dog and Belfast Blonde.

1 Like