The Weekly Stat Attack – 33 – Switzerland (8th July 2022)

I plead auto-correct!

1 Like

I been lucky enough to visit this fine country 4 times, mostly in the early 00’s as I had met good friends travelling from the French part of country so went to stay with them. Summer & winter are very different, walking in the stunning mountains & sailing on the lakes in the Summer & hot air ballooning over the snow laden alps in the winter with many other balloons.

I’ve one visit since I joined Ratebeer, exactly 5 years ago at the end of a 6 country road trip, my wife flying into Basle for a week touring the country. It’s not a cheap country to spend time in but certainly one of the most stunning.

I’ve had 53 beers, placing it 13th, average of 3.09, from 14 /26 Cantons

My Rating Avg Entered Updated
Sudwerk Liberator (2016 -) 3.6 3.23 4/8/2021 4/8/2021
Bier Factory Rapperswil / Northern Monk Fatal Error! 3.6 3.19 4/9/2021
Jungfraubräu Rotes 3.6 3.24 6/20/2021
Bier Factory Rapperswil Blackbier 3.5 3.39 4/7/2021
Bier Factory Rapperswil Rappigold 3.5 3.16 4/9/2021
Bier Factory Rapperswil Rechaud 3.5 3.31 4/9/2021
Haarige Kuh Black Rock 3.5 3.31 6/20/2021

I’ve visited 3 places on that trip worth noting.

Bier Factory Rapperswil-Jona 80 70 5/4/2019
Locher 76 72 5/4/2019
Rio Getr�nkemarkt Wettingen 68 70 5/4/2019
6 Likes

A mere 12 Swiss ticks for me. A family member recently announced they want to do the Glacier Express which is also on my list so if anyone has tips for that please let me know :slight_smile:

2 Likes

been several times, though generally day trips (from Austria or Germany as part of a longer trip), think I’ve spent fewer than 10 nights in the country. Absolutely fantastic scenery, but waaaaaay too expensive (felt expensive in 2003 at 2.5CHF to the quid, now it’s less than half that!) for my liking, which probably partly explains why I’ve had a mere 105 beers. Well that and bad luck, like the time I went to Geneve, only had time for one bar so picked Au coin Mousse as looking the best bet, only to find a bloody UK tap takeover. If I were ever to look at moving abroad to work I’d pick Switzerland, sadly unlikely to ever be a reality

2 Likes

FInally caught back up with these threads!

Sadly I have no Swiss beer or place rates at present.

I have been to Switzerland several times before my RB days (so have certainly drunk Swiss beer), and think it’s one of the most (if not the most) beautiful countries I’ve been to. Every single place I stopped was gorgeous. Sadly also one of the most expensive!

I visited Bern, Interlaken and Grindelwald and traveled on the Glacier Express both times that I went inter-railing around Europe. I liked it so much that we also had our honeymoon there - a twin centre one with a week in each of Locarno and Zermatt (in late spring - lovely flower meadows appearing everywhere amongst the melting snow). Locarno oddly had a strawberry festival on, with a giant model of a strawberry held aloft by a crane towering over the town square!

My wife and I will definitely return to the country at some point in our lives, probably for a special anniversary or something. Best start saving (a lot) I guess!

On a Swiss related note, there’s a Swiss bakery/cafe in Richmond (London, not Yorkshire) run by a Swiss couple who are both really friendly. We really liked their food when we went there. They did stock Swiss beer but it was prohibitively expensive - I’ll have to order some from Beers of Europe instead at some point.

5 Likes