Tips about English South Coast

Hello planning my journey with 2 friends south of London in August… we decided to visit Rye and we are looking for some nice town with good pubs or brewery tap room … not necessarily by the sea but obviously it would be appreciated… any suggestions!? Thanks in advance… ciao !!

Damn. I was about to post the same question! I was thinking of giving the south a good week some time next year, so am after town recommendations too.

Rye is lovely. The Ypres Castle Is probably your best pub. There are a number of Shepherd Neame pubs in the town. The Mermaid is the most famous and most picturesque.
If you can, try to get up the road to Snargate for the Red Lion, locally known as “Doris’s” It’s been in the Good Beer Guide every year since the book started and in the same family since 1910. It’s a step back in time.

1 Like

Hastings and St Leonards are both good for pubs, here is a pub crawl we did last November.

Starting in the old town on the east of the town and working west.

The Dolphin Inn - Rock-a-nore, good Harvey’s
The Crown - All Saints Street, good beer range
Cinque Ports Arms - All Saints, a bit quaint
Stag Inn - All Saints, Sheps but ok
First in Last Out FILO - brewpub High Street
Jenny Lind - High Street, lots of cask beers
Ye Olde Pumphouse - George Street, pretty Sheps place
Albion - George Street good Harvey’s
Then a walk along the sea front west
The Palace - A259 mix of taps and cask
The White Rock Hotel - A259 cask but a great view over the sea, non residents welcome
Then up the hill to
The Tower - Tower Road
Dripping Spring - Tower Road
North Star - Upper S Road/Clarence Road
T

Brighton is about 90 mins from Rye on the train. The train ride is lovely and Brighton has 2-3 days worth of pubs to go to
Also you can stop at Lewes and pay homage to the Harvey’s brewery.

1 Like

If you are desperate, and in Rye, you could catch the train to Ashford and visit the Hop Stuff Taproom.

Thank you very much !! I visited Brighton few years ago in November so I want to get back there in summer… St Leonard and Hastings were also among the candidates … we will check for The tap room in Ashforf

If you do let me know, I live less than a mile from it.

Now added on Ratebeer

Cheers !!!

If you can, try visiting some micropubs. The one in Hastings is The Jolly Fisherman,

These are great little pubs that are taking pubs back to the most simple elements. Beer and conversation. I go to my local one in Folkestone, The Firkin Alehouse, more than any other pub every year for the past 4 years.

Very interesting… I love tiny places … I think the only micropub I’ve been in is the Blue Bell in york years ago … thanks a lot again !!!