UK Place Reviews

Some time ago there was a thread about us all trying a little bit more to add ‘Place Reviews’.

I have carried on doing them, but has everyone else?

https://community.ratebeer.com/t/march-in-the-shires/4061; See post # 14.

34 English Counties to my name now and 287 English reviews overall.

658 Place reviews from around the world.

My plan is to add more counties this year and up my German reviews with two beery trips there before Christmas. Currently 70 reviews from 11 of the 16 Bundselander.

<*))))))><

1 Like

Had a trip to Bristol and Bath a couple weeks ago so picked up Somerset and Gloucestershire. Train got diverted via Reading because of snow so picked up Berkshire as well. Going for a trip to Nuneaton which will then give me 1 Warks rate at least.

That will leave me with 14 counties, divided into 7 trips of two each for the 46:

• Cheshire/Greater Manchester
  • Kent/East Sussex
  • IOW/Dorset
  • Hereford/Worcs
  • Durham/Tyne & Wear
  • Devon/Cornwall
  • N and W Yorkshire

International travel is more difficult at the moment. Possibly adding some standard European countries in the next 12 months. One or two of Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, Spain.

I have to admit that for me, chasing stats isn’t always the best way to add to the site. Ideally, I should be sourcing the weird and wonderful that isn’t on RB yet. There’s a craft bottle shop bar in Frome, whose addition and rating would have benefitted the site more than my Bristol crawl of King Street which already have 30+ rates. I’m in Liverpool in a couple of months and I should take the time to check out the new craft beer cafe in Wallasey, even though that’s a whole afternoon for just one rate.

Trying to find good local-ish places has been fun though. Who’d have ever thought that a crafty-ish pub would open in Rushden? Or that St Neots would have a micropub with a world-class bottle fridge? These little unexpected discoveries keep me interested.

2 Likes

Still only two people who have reviewed something in all 46 English regions.

https://www.ratebeer.com/users/placeratings/9/

<*))))))><

I’m doing Essex and Bedfordshire this year, just Isle of Wight then to catch up with. I have been to all of these in the past but I am sticking to just reviewing fresh.

1 Like

Will go up a few places in May. Going to Preston for work so staying a night in Manchester.

1 Like

I feel bad that i haven’t been to anywhere in East Yorkshire. A county that almost (across the Humber) boarders Lincolnshire. I did pop into a BrewPub in Oxford the other day on a drive from Heathrow to Liverpool which was one more, and will be heading north to Durham, Tyne and Wear and Northumberland in late April.

I did look at ordering online from one of the few Isle of Wight breweries, if I rated there online delivery it counts as a place rate, but feel this isn’t in the spirit of the yellow colour.

Currently on 31, but should cover 4 more soon enough.

1 Like

Warwickshire done. (Nuneaton… not particular recommended) 32 down and 14 to go.

1 Like

I so rarely rate places. I must try harder. I’ve not long come back from Brussels and not rated anywhere! I’ll drop a rate in now for the Grumpy Goat bottle shop in Reading I went to earlier.

3 Likes

Just an update from March and my original post: not much seems to have changed on the ‘leader board’. I have reviewed some places down in Devon, Bucks, Shropshire and London since March (plus Wales and Brugges) so my personal scores are rising but the English Region totals seem fairly static.

Here’s the link again: https://www.ratebeer.com/users/placeratings/9/

<*))))))><

Interestingly Brits are well represented here: https://www.ratebeer.com/users/placeratings/13/

<*))))))><

Since posting this I’ve got lazy on Place reviews, When somewhere already has a load of recent ratings haven’t bothered.

I’m at 2 regions, lets see how this goes over the next 4 years!

1 Like

I hope you and your family travel all over the UK while you are here, it really is a unique place with so much to see, no matter what your interests are. If you have chance to review a pub or two during your posting all well and good.

<*))))))><

Luckily for me the wife supports my beer habits, so I will surely be able to review some pubs along the way. Did a day in London for her yesterday with kids, need a dozen pints afterwards however was to tired by the time I got home.

when I was posted/stationed there I joined both the National Trust and English Heritage (and did working weekends with the Trust). Thoroughly enjoyed it, and it really got me out and about.

2 Likes

My girlfriend and I joined the trust a few weeks ago … felt like it aged us 10 years overnight :slight_smile:

Already recouped 25% of our membership and will smash this down over the coming months seen as we live 10 miles from Cliveden which is £10 per person just to walk the dogs alone!

1 Like

Overall Place Reviews top 50 also has plenty of British based users:

https://www.ratebeer.com/users/placeratings/

<*))))))><

If anyone wants to save money, I will sell you my pass. Agreed the Mrs’ suggestion to join because it was the path of least resistance.

We are looking at a few options now. With the wife being a history buff and me loving beer, it give reason to get out around the country. Plus discounts means I have more beer money.

1 Like

In terms of Regions since March I have added IoW, Oxfordshire, Tyne and Wear, and Durham I think. Now at 36 of 46 regions.

Planning a trip to Hull (East Yorkshire) in the next few weeks, and might be able to visit somewhere in Herefordshire if work things work out right.

1 Like