Ulster etc

Doing some genealogy research in Louth & Monaghan where my 3rd great grandparents were from before emigrating to NYC. Flying into Belfast on 18 October, starting at The Sunflower. Hope to visit all the counties in NI before heading out on 3 November. Happy to have a beer with whoever is around.

1 Like

Not sure you recall but I was wearing a t-shirt from The Sunflower when we were tasting up in Portland. Did like that spot.

1 Like

I do not remember that. But maybe if I had a few beers, it would all come back. State-dependent learning…

1 Like

Lots of suggestions. Derry is really a great city. Spend some time there. Halloween is huge in Derry, lots to do there. Rent a car and drive around Donegal. It’s technically part of Ulster but not in NI. Drive from Derry into Gweedore. It’s one of the most beautiful places in the world in my opinion.
Ireland is very small, and best seen by car. Public transit isn’t great.
In terms of Belfast, it is a great city. Very industrial and a bit rough around the edges perhaps. Queens, the Botanic Gardens are very nice. I lived there for a few years while at University.

1 Like

Good advice. Looks like I’ll have six days in Derry, and a car to look around. There is some sort of carnival parade while I’m there.
What’s the best general area to stay in Derry?

Has maybe changed a bit in recent years but some areas back in decline again unfortunately. On the plus side getting very decent for beer

2 Likes

The city center is really small, that would be fine. Shipquay Hotel is probably not too bad with the exchange rate, but expensive. Really anything downtown should be OK. The city walls are super cool. If you do go to Donegal, stay in a B&B. It’s an Irish speaking region, and a famous one. Likely, the B&B owner will teach you some Irish.

2 Likes

good to see you back on Ratebeer again :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Not helpful, but I’ll fly into Dublin on the 17th.
Noticed on your Untappd check-ins some year ago that we were probably within 50m from one another in Gurgaon, India at some point. There is a slim chance that I’ll be working some time on the northern part of the island, but won’t cross the border.

Well I’ll be as far south as Drogheda, just north of Dublin, on 24 & 25 October. And in Athlone (Wild Street Brewing) on 26 Oct. And wandering around Donegal 29 & 30 Oct.
Nate Ross is back in Bangalore brewing, in case you make it back to India. Gurgaon sucked in a major way, the only redeeming quality was the food. The beer was disgusting.
Best way to track me is with Untappd these days. Best way to contact me is through Signal or WhatsApp, bonventre@yahoo.com

You in Ireland now?

Oops just seeing this now. I’m in Derry today, Portrush tomorrow, flying out on Thursday