Untappd - A Case Study

I’d love to know how to become an Untappd admin because on a daily basis I encounter beer entry after beer entry that are a complete joke. I say that not as a snotty asshole but as an active user on Untappd as well that is constantly pissed off on there. I’m pissed off on here a lot, too, but I’m an admin and can fix it. Part of the way I became an admin here was because I was constantly submitting changes and issues, so maybe I’ll do that. Maybe someone will notice that nobody gives a shit about southwest Wisconsin/northeast Iowa/northwest Illinois. I look forward to a defensive response about how hard working the admins are so I can destroy how terrible the database is in my area and all the incorrect check-ins etc I see and how I can “flag them” if I really care. Okay I don’t really care that much and I’m being a jerk. Sincerely all cool and cheers!

Which ‘they’? Untappd, or Untappd’s users? They’re two different beasties. King Cnut might do his genuine wholehearted very best to hold back the waves, but the waves will still come in. The only question that matters is surely “if you’re with Cnut, do your feet get wet?”.

Just want to make sure that this doesn’t get lost in a long post.

10 Likes

Sounds familiar, seems we have much in common!

There is also no Estonian admin or he/she is not local. It shows a lot… UT’s Estonian admin doesn’t even fix the obvious things and I personally do not have enough time to do free work for 2 sites and submit change for hundreds of beers that need fixing (especially if they never get fixed anyway like it was pointed out).

It works when brewery actually does it, but in Estonia there is actually only one brewery (Põhjala!), who has accurate list (and they also admin their stuff in ratebeer, as much as it is possible anyway). There are a lot of other verified Estonian breweries in untappd, but ratebeer is way more accurate (especially as far as aliasing/relabeling goes).

I find it very annoying that when I checkin the vintage the beer itself doesn’t get checkin. In festivals I want to try the new stuff, and i will not have it marked as non tick if I have checked in a vintage version. So if it is a vintage version, you need to do at least 2 checkins…

3 Likes

@LazyPyro to be clearer, I meant RB attracts a particular kind of beer geek. I didn’t mean to say beer geeks, homebrewers, industry folk, and others are not on UT. But people on RB either really like to look at stats or like to (shit) post or something else that is very particular to RB and not reproduced on UT.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply
Looking a little better at untappd i can see now that 1 of the beers has been re entered as a new beer at a later time and is now there.
This is kreklingporter - due to Norwegian alcohol law and tax on beers, they are often brewed with different ABV, and then considered as different beers.
Beers up to 4.7 ABV can be sold at grocery stores.
Higher ABV can only be sold through Vinmonopolet, this is the state owned alcohol monopoly, or as on site consumption at a bar or restaurant .

I can send you a PM later with more Norwegian info.

I have a friend there who’s an admin or moderator.

There’s no mystery to Untappd’s popularity. It’s the beer equivalent to Instagram. Things you can do on Untappd that you can’t do here:

Upload photos to every rating
Tag mates and comment on individual ratings
Click ‘nearby’ and find all ratings from within 30 miles

A fast, easy-on-the-eye app that works and allows full interaction as per above, is what RateBeer should’ve caught up with as soon as UT came out. Obviously, lack of investment, staff etc etc but there is still opportunity for RB to build its worth as a credible site of informed users. A good way, like i’ve said before, is physical events… actual country-wide tours with tastings / brewers… I dunno… rarity and exclusivity is key

3 Likes

And I “meet up” with another Rbeerian on Untappd. Frequenting just one site doesn’t seem to be the norm anymore. And that’s okay in my book.

3 Likes

Dude!

1 Like

Actually scrap what i said above. RB attracted the geeks, and with ABIbev now involved i expect that will be hugely difficult

I suspect you know more than one of the Germany admins. :wink:

Yeah, the bigger & on average less knowledgeable user base on UT means much more crap and much much more for the admins to filter through. A couple of side issues are sometimes the stuff is so small-scale that it is flatly impossible to trace unless you know the people involved. Plus homebrew is allowed which complicates the admin task a fair bit.

I still find RB better in that public ratings must include a description. But even on RB some of those descriptions are, frankly, crap. You need to learn who you can trust and who you can’t. And conversely on UT, these days if there’s enough check-ins there will be comments with good useful info in there too.

3 Likes

It has always been that RB/BA only attract a small subset of people wh drink “craft” beer…let alne the big guys…even back in 2003…i knew a lot of people wh drank craft here in Oregon who would never dream of doing weird shit like rate a beer!

2 Likes

Go to the UT help pages and type “become a moderator” into the search box. It’ll link you to the info. Sadly though they’re not recruiting right now, I don’t know how long that’ll last.

One possibility is a personal intro - there are current mods around your general area and they will usually know if they need trusted help.

1 Like

Ja, det vet jeg om. :grinning: Don’t forget it’s similar in Sweden - but 3.5% - and there’s quite a few of those 3.5% versions on RB alongside the full-fat ones.

As far as I’m aware, on both RB & UT it depends on the ABV difference between versions - less than 0.5% or so and they’ll be merged.

What do you wanna implicate? Personally I know one afaik

Perhaps a littler bit unclear in my post about kreklingporter.
Ther are two versions on RB, this is correct with 2 versions
There were 2 versions on untappd as well - before the strong version was wrongly merged into the weak 4.7 one - Perhaps done by someone that was not aware of the Scandinavian ABV veriations. A strong version has since been reentered at untappd, both versions is now correctly there.

Ah right… I think it’s a case of the policies always evolving. Yes, there was a time when the brand name was regarded as more important than the ABV.

Another example is there’s still a major difference in that UT regards bottle/cask/keg as all the same beer, they’re just “serving style variations”, where on RB it’s acceptable to list the cask/real and pasteurised versions as different entries. But what the heck - as they say, it all comes out in the wash!

1 Like

Just joking. There’s four of us I’m aware of, though one is taking a rest at the moment.