US states hard to get

I’m in Canada. I’ve actually barely seen any American beers period in the last few years let alone rare states. Maybe once the pandemic and politics settle down enough to make crossing the border not scary. :slight_smile:

I’d also find it very interesting to see which English counties (and regions of other countries too) were difficult for non-locals - although I suspect that for England it’d be the same ones as for residents ie Rutland, IoW and Worcestershire.

Wonder if it’s harder for Brits to complete the US states, or for Americans to complete the English counties?

English counties are pretty easy compared to US states. We’re a smaller country. Plus, craft beer in the US tends to be locally centred. Aren’t there even breweries like New Glarus who refuse to sell outside their state?

I’m as likely to find beer in my Leicester local from North Yorkshire, Durham and Kent as Leicestershire. One pub here put on a beer festival with beers from Durham and Northumberland. Only difficulties are the likes of IOW and Rutland who just don’t have many breweries. I imagine choice is good for me in the middle of the country and less so in the rural edges like Cornwall, but even then you’ll find beer outside the area. And that’s before even considering online shopping.

Is it easy for Americans to complete the English counties though? Not without visiting. UK beer is thin on the ground in the US, last time I was there I only cpuld find Fullers Sam Smith’s etc.

I don’t know the answer but we Brits tend to travel a bit more than the average 'merican. Just look at a couple of home pages of random US raters and compare them to a UK set of home pages. There are of course exceptions to that rule (@Oakes, @Travl, etc).

<*))))))><

I’ve been tryin to get all English counties it’s very hard in US. If you go to a “British pub” usually only beers are Old Speckled Hen, Sam Smiths and Fullers. Most my county ticks are from a few trips to Belfast where I grabbed a bunch. International selection at most beer stores is way down I feel as well. This is what I need:

Cheshire
Durham
East Yorkshire
Essex
Herefordshire
Isle Of Wight
Leicestershire
Lincolnshire
Merseyside
Northamptonshire
Northumberland
Rutland
South Yorkshire
Surrey
Worcestershire

3 Likes

Simple. You gotta come over!

Agreed. I drank some in London one day but wife and I mostly did touristy stuff. Then some during layover in Manchester airport but was with my boss and it was like 5am local time so not best look.

Play the long game & try to get the same style(s) in all states.

I cannot get a beer from Whales let alone English counties. I guess I have had beer from half of the England’s counties.

1 Like

I see what you did there.
:wink:

1 Like

Hoping to drink a wit from wales.

1 Like

Living in Nebraska and being able to get most of those “hard states” for most people, the hardest ones for me were:

• West Virginia
  • Nevada (Far and away the hardest)
  • Alabama

I just recently got a Tennessee tick with a Blackberry Farm Beer.
Despite living in NC which actually borders Tn. (for any geographically challenged)
And yes, we have been getting Bearded Iris lately but I wont pay the premium for those.

Missing three US states:

Idaho
Montana
West Virginia

Not seen them anywhere here in Sweden and no luck finding them when I was in New York.

Managed to grab all English ones thanks to GBBF and all German thanks to a trip to Berlin.

If/when we get Sweden done I’ll race omhper and Nisse666 to first to get 100 from each län, but think I’ll finish third in that race.

Missing: Louisiana, Mississippi, Rhode Island, West Virginia.
Managed to finish UK last year thanks to trades with Grumbo. Not possible to do it without traveling and/or trades.

I have never been hardcore country or county ticker. I used to pursue weird styles a lot, but after the change of rb styles, it just doesn’t make sense. Absolutely no point of trying to get 10 premium dark lagers when the style is just alias of dunkel/tmavy. Untappd styles (and brewver styles) make even less sense…

1 Like

Utah is easy to find:
https://www.vinmonopolet.no/vmp/search/?q=epic:relevance:visibleInSearch:true&searchType=product

Regner med du ikke har stående eller skal innom kvadrat før lørdag?
Tenkte da på denne:
https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/epic-son-of-a-baptist/363507
Hvis ikke så bestiller jeg for avhenting på bryne polet.

Same here. I still look for styles that can’t really be classified as anything else (e.g. doppelbocks) but the ‘rare style’ thing has been kind of watered down a bit with the 8,000 new styles.

Possibly the same with counties/regions for me. I’ll still try to bulk up my rarer England counties (easy enough as that’s where I live) and try to get rare US states when I see them, but I can’t see myself chasing missing or low regions from the Netherlands, Belgium and Czech Republic. Maybe just knowing my limitations!

I’m still doing the style thing since I was at 15 of each prior. The two styles that kind of annoy me are Pale Ale (the description says Extra Pale Ales go here but most that are labeled as such I was told to leave where they are), and dark lager - India/hoppy more so it seems it’s not really a thing and most fit elsewhere.

The non beer styles make sense and I am marching towards 10 of each although no idea what I’ll do about ice perry.

1 Like

Is that what they are supposed to be? As in, any higher abv pale ales go in that category? Why don’t we just call the category extra pale ale then? I’m down with new styles for the most part, but that was is a mystery to me