Web site release 1.5.1

I’ll have another go!

Long, long ago lots of people seemed to think that UK beers were split on a cask/keg basis. That is not the case & never has been. The split was on pasteurised/unpasteurised. Often it took some research to find out the truth. Sometimes it was impossible. Many new beers were added, and ratings entered, without the format specified in the text of the review. Putting the format in the description box when an admin had done the necessary research served both as a flag to other admins that the work had been done and to indicate to raters when a separate cask entry/keg entry was not required, or when it might be.

Also, don’t forget that it has never been possible to specify the format when adding availability from the place page, which has led to an almighty mess & lack of clarity on what’s available, where & in what format.

But I take your point. That system was implemented in simpler times. There were far fewer beers. And even fewer that were available in multiple formats. Apart from the most commercial beers from the largest producers, very few beers are pasteurised now. Back in the day it was feasible for admins to keep on top of things and update those descriptions when required on a reasonably timely basis. Now it’s impossible. To be honest, I’m rather past caring.

That’s actually the best explanation I’ve seen about it, thanks for that. Though I can’t help but feel all of that would have been avoided with a simple “admin notes” field visible only to admins where this could be written, therefore keeping the description field for it’s original intent, though I take your point that it might have been useful to raters too.

Still feel like it’s an unnecessary holdover being used on beers where it’s completely irrelevant these days, but never mind. As I said it’s just a pet peeve of mine that’s been bugging me ever since I joined. In terms of my issues with RB this is right at the bottom of the pile, there’s far more pressing issues I should put effort into complaining about. Although I must admit that seems futile given everyone else is already complaining and we’re getting nowhere.

That’s an admin function. ‘Normals’ would have to e-mail a picture or add one as they add a new beer. There’s no way for them anymore to upload a pic for an existing entry without a picture.

There was no admin notes field at the time. But, generally, we wanted to avoid users creating unnecessary duplicates whilst, at the same time, encouraging them to add a new beer in cases of doubt, rather than just bunging the rating under the existing single entry. As we all know, it’s far better to have two entries and merge them if necessary than to split a beer later and be faced with the unenviable, and sometimes impossible, task of reallocating the existing ratings.

Not sure if it was mentioned yet, but I am no longer able to resize the comment area when doing a rating.

This is a minor issue, but I do prefer being able to see my full comment without scrolling. Even if it is just the ability to resize down.

Thanks

2 Likes

The old ratings page also had the beers info listed at the top. The brewery, style, ABV and then the blurb about the beer and other info. I miss that little reference point.

7 Likes

You can open the ratings page in a duplicate tab (I open the statistics page in another tab as well).

The main reason this happens now is that you can’t use Erik’s app to upload a rate (sometimes even find a beer) unless the beer has a description.

2 Likes

I can’t believe there’s not a bigger outcry about this new slider thing? It’s such a pointless “addition” to the site. Is joet not even on here anymore? I suspect he’s fully bailed out by now?

3 Likes

I think pretty much everyone left has said its shit, the reason there not a bigger outcry is theres almost no one left

8 Likes

Just entering some live rates on mobile for the first time since the page changed…

I mean, it’s fine… I can get the number I want on like the 2nd or 3rd try. It takes me like 5 extra seconds. But why? The old page was much more user friendly and intuitive. I’m sure site management will cite some research that shows people like large empty white spaces and as little information as possible.

5 Likes

Also, make that little thing that says “private” either disappear or toggle to “public” when I hit 75 characters.

1 Like

That’s just it though. It’s not fine. It’s absolutely pointless to a newb, or us lot. Nothing has been gained. I just don’t get it. RB is dying on it’s arse and I can’t imagine for one minute these changes are going to reverse its demise.

1 Like

By “it’s fine” I mean “of all the pointless changes this bothers me just an average amount.”

I don’t get the point of the change… in my mind it makes the process of entering a rating more cumbersome, but only slightly so.

Maybe I just can’t get myself to care anymore.

1 Like

Another half ass tested update. Now I have to enter where I had this beer every time manually? Why should I bother?

1 Like

I don’t like it. Never liked it. I suggested changes but it’s been implemented as-is anyway. It’s a big backward step IMO and does nothing to encourage people to rate more. Rating a beer now takes longer. I hate the sliders as to most other people it seems. Just don’t see the point of this change at all tbh.

1 Like

Never seen this before

Really annoying. Cut the crap Team Joet or who you are! I´m one of those who are sending corrections to my local admin here in Norway.

3 Likes

How can joet even be on here anymore? He’s taken the money and run I reckon.

2 Likes

True story. When I was rather young my boy scout troop (small town) had trouble finding a scout master. A good fellow volunteered. One meeting night he did not show up. We waited and waited. Then we left. Some of us heading home went past the local bar. Door was open and our scout master was at the bar watching some sport on TV. The children said some words through the door. The scout troop never met again.

2 Likes

Is this the new «Ohh, Great Master» here at RateBeer?image
For sure, the recent changes are rather evil…

2 Likes