"Weizen Bock" and why it is a wrongly named beerstyle

Dear ratebeer staff,

The german language can be tricky. Also when it comes to naming beerstyles. You named the style “Doppelbock” right - the name of the style is one word, composed of the parts ‘doppel’ and ‘Bock’. However, you made a mistake. You named a beerstyle “Weizen Bock”, even though it should be named “Weizenbock”.

“Heller Bock” is a beerstyle that is named correctly. It is made up of an adjective and a noun which are never combined in the German language. However, in the case of weizen and Bock, they should be combined, and a single new word should be created, if you want to be faithful to German grammar - as you were in the case of “Doppelbock”.

4 Likes

you meant “Weizen” and “Bock” there.

as any native speaker of German can confirm, this is in fact true. I don’t think it hurts to get rid of the space, though apparently none of our German users cared about this in the past 15 years.

5 Likes

Correct. Thanks for pointing that out.

The odds of this getting fixed is close to 0%.

5 Likes

B836FB38-1BD9-484F-BF1C-165581B5197F-3518-00000301B2CE2850

10 Likes

Do it @joet

Weizenbock

1 Like

Already one word on BA and UT. Get with the program, RB!

1 Like

Maybe we should have a poll to make sure it’s the right step for RB.:rofl:

4 Likes

We should definitely debate this for weeks and go round and round with purists saying combining words is just a fad of the German language, while thousands of brewers make one word weizenbocks, and people who simply don’t like words longer than 7 letters try to prevent its creation, only for nothing to be done anyways.

5 Likes

Maybe @cgarvieuk can make a poll with way too many choices and several grammatical errors.

4 Likes

We haven’t had a #cgarvieukpoll since “How big is yours?”.

Ad Weizenbock: Go for it!

2 Likes

thanks for the tag @Oakes and @rotaman14 for the catch.

done!

3 Likes

Wow, I wish all suggested changes were done this quickly :wink:.

3 Likes

But Doppel is an adjective in this case, and yet you say it’s ok to combine :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Not an adjective, the flexion is wrong - “doppel” is part of the word.

The adjective way of phrasing it would be “doppelter Bock”

1 Like

How do you translate Doppel Bock in English (or French, if easier), because the first part of the above doesn’t tell me much

Looks like it is fixed!

https://www.ratebeer.com/beerstyles/weizenbock/25/

And, looks like The Livery Bourbon Barrel Trippel Weizenbock has been retired, erroneously. There have been both 2016 & 2017 vintages released.

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/the-livery-bourbon-barrel-aged-wheat-trippelbock/49981/

1 Like

both English and French do not have flexion of the adjective in this case, and they also do not merge nouns with specifying words, so I suppose “double bock” and “bock double” are the respective translations. In this case, the “double” is indeed an adjective, but the German adjective would be “doppelt”, not “doppel”. “doppel” only makes sense when merged with a noun.

I would like to publicly admit that I just got served.

10 Likes

Especially because it got fixed in about five minutes.