Wetherspoons Spring 23 Fest

The beer list can be opened from this page:

Seems uninspiring even by their recent standards…

Crikey, I don’t believe I’ll be traipsing around many Spoons trying to search these out.

There are a few new to me, but I will not be going out of my way to find them either Glen.

<*))))))><

I tend to avoid JDWs these days, although occasionally circumstance might find me pooping in for a half. There’s rarely anything good, although a new Oakham beer and a Jersey tick sound reasonable.

Nothing quite like a good poop in a Wetherspoons :grin:

3 Likes

Is it safe to assume that the 3 foreign brewery beers will actually fall under whichever UK breweries they use to brew them, or are we looking at actual foreign brewery ticks here?!

1 Like

Or even half a poop :poop:

2 Likes

You think Wetherspoons are going to pay to import casks from overseas !!!???

1 Like

Spoons have opened bars in Ireland over the last few years, it’s depressing on a number of levels but mainly because the guy literally sacked his staff via Twitter, told them to F off and work for Tesco and people still frequent.

Too be fair some of the Media misquoted him, what he actually said was something like “Find another job at TESCO’s or where ever and we’ll have you back once the world is allowing pubs to re-open”

I am not a huge fan of Tim or Spoon’s but ‘false news’ is ‘false news’.

<*))))))><

Obviously they decided not to go back given his problems with recruiting. Can’t blame them really.

Not sure he was misquoted seeing as he did it all by video.

Either way he was quick to dump his staff when loads of others in the trade were trying to figure out ways to soften the blow. Not much any of us can do to effect the world, where and who we spend with is one thing, and good Mr Spoon won’t get any custom from me ever again

2 Likes

I’ve been to Spoonsies a couple times in the past six weeks which is a record for me these days. Not a fan of Tim but I’m sure I give my money to worse people.

We had dinner in the Bedford one over Xmas, which I’ve always liked (love pubs with actual books), it wasn’t bad and I had a good enough beer that I’d be unlikely to find in other pubs I frequent. Plus, while Bedford has come a long way, it’s still pretty dull for beer compared to bigger towns and cities so Spoons wasn’t a bad shout. And it was 3-4 minutes from our hotel.

Last week we took my teens out to another Spoons, abominable. My burger could have been any meat and I wouldn’t have been surprised. Dog? Horse? Pangolin? I guess it was just very low quality beef. I didn’t want any of the beers from the list. The whole place was dirty.

So while I may be tempted to poop my head in, I’d have to be quite drunk already to have a meal or a sesh in a Spoons on my own volition at the moment. Banks Amber on the festival list ain’t gonna do it for me

2 Likes

Bumping this as I just remembered that this started as of yesterday.

I’ve added all the brews that weren’t already on RB.

I see a few people have already started hitting the fest. Good luck to anyone who’s trying to complete the whole list. Got no plans to go myself, although if I’m passing a Spoons I might stick my head in to see if they’ve got the Orkney or Liberation ones on. Although I might not bother given how grim Spoonsies have become in recent years.

3 Likes

I’ll be checking Spoons Ale Finder for my 2 local ones to see what’s on - quick dash in if it looks interesting

Good timing (not deliberate :smiley: ) but back in London for 10 days from tomorrow, can see a fair few across our 2 local spoons via alefinder app.

1 Like

A quick check and I need 19 of them. Not going to go out of my way but looking at the Ale Finder part of the Wetherspoons App, none have found their way into my local Spoons as yet. However I am in Windsor today and the Orkney beer appears to be on, so a quick visit in there will be worthwhile.

1 Like

There’s a Liberation beer at the Corn Exchange just near me but I don’t think I can muster the energy to go. Not quite yet ready for warm brown beer after 2 liver-destroying weeks in St Pete.

1 Like

Bonus day yesterday, 3 new beers from the list on in my local Spoons including 2 of the 3 collaborations. That’s 5 of the 19 I needed done in 2 days. I may get there this time.

2 Likes

10 down, 20 to go over the next 7 days. Wimbledon spoons looks to have 5 more to tick off tomorrow.