What are the Alternatives?

Nothing to do with sign in issue. Stop deflecting. Just sort this shit out.

Also, reminder that you still haven’t deleted our stuck ticks from aliases yet despite promising you would half a year ago. Many of us are still unable to export ratings because of this. Or possibly because of accented letters. Who knows these days there’s so many issues.

Also a reminder that the ability to export ratings is a premium feature that many members here, including myself, pay for. What do you think’s gonna happen when you don’t bother to fix all these broken premium features and the time comes for us to renew our membership?

6 Likes

I transferred to Untappd a while back partly as my back-up, and partly to be able to rate casks and vintages (when there’s really a difference) that ratebeer doesn’t allow. I don’t like the lack of detail in the check-in scale, but since transferring I’ve been using untapped as my place-marker/live check-in, and ratebeer for more detail. I don’t have my rates backed up otherwise, though I tend to print every thousand.

1 Like

[spoiler][/spoiler]

1 Like

All of this, @joet1

1 Like

I was not aware of the export feature, as I hadn’t considered the need. It now really looks like RB is on the slide. Can you please tell me how to export please? Cheers Nick

This is my problem with UT when it comes to ratings (so not talking about all the other things that annoy me). I can’t write my rating, I can only score and write three words. Also I can only give a total score instead of scores for aroma appearance etc.

3 Likes

Also one of the main reasons I put everything on untapped. As a backup, for vintages, and to rerate beers as my rating of them adjust over time. Still prefer RateBeer much more but nice to have that “safety net”.

1 Like

You have 255 characters as a premium member and you could write your score for aroma taste etc there, after all when you talk with someone about a beer you mostly refer to the Overall score.

Just go to your profile, ratings, down bottom on the right hand side you can click on Compile My Ratings

I always put my overall in the description on Untappd. I have looked back and find it to be pretty concise to what I’ve written on here.

But your not able to put your complete rating of a beer on UT , Right? I,m sure even most of my ratings are over their limit.

I don’t do a word-for-word copy. Just passing thoughts I have. Mostly if I like it or not, and passing notes on smell or taste. Appearance is out the window because I post a picture.

For example, last night’s rating for Mikkeller SD California Dream: Absolutely lovely. Delicately balanced hop to bready malt ratio, easy to drink while giving you enough flavor to keep your interest. Awesome

That’s 140 characters.

1 Like

In a pinch, one could just say “this was fucking awesome” or “this was fucking disgusting,” but I think mine gets the point across nicer.

1 Like

255 character limit. Enough for most RB users to post a review. Lol.

Joe, the sign in issue is just another straw that contributes to losing faith in being able find relevant information when you are out and about. This is on top of Search, Alphabet problems, very slow running, places mapping and many more issues that we have been through and mostly not resolved.
I am not personally pulling out of Ratebeer yet as I still feel some commitment to the site as a long serving Admin, but I do want to be in a position where I can have a usable system if I do have to jump. The general feeling I am receiving from Ratebeer users is that the drive downwards to being a second rate Untapped clone won’t stop and that you are the chief architect of this move. Whether this is correct or not it is not something I will want to be part of, so I am making my plans now. The future plans that you are putting into place are not filling me with confidence that anything will get better.
There appears to be a hole on the internet for a quality beer / place related logging, discussion site, which we are abandoning and if there is anything out there, then I would like to know about it.

I will take a look at Google Drive and converting Excel to Google Sheets and see if I can speed up the download to my Android phone. Just for a quick working look see if I have had a beer I may just use a couple of columns from my main file.

Right now I have a pretty clean Excel workbook and I’ve made a VBA script/userform to add entries to either my beers rated list (Sheet2) or my cellar stock list (Sheet3).

The biggest downside is that it’s a bit hard to get consistency in things like the brewery’s name if I’m not using this workbook with Ratebeer on the side. Like, I don’t want to add a beer with [Het Uiltje] as brewery name and then adding another beer by them with [Het Uiltje Brewing] as the brewery.

But I don’t feel like switching to Untappd either because of both the work involved and the character limit (which, even at 255) is a bit low for me. But I’m slowly starting to play with the thought to take that route, since it does seem like a stable platform.

Anyway, my Ratebeer premium runs out in October and I don’t think I will renew it.

3 Likes

Mine too, and for the first time ever I am questioning whether I will renew or not. Sad times…

1 Like

Last year I questioned it too. I didn’t renew it right when it expired, which was new for me. But I thought we were on the edge of positive changes coming, so I renewed after a while. So far Ratebeer hasn’t lived up to my expectations.

Also, I hate it that there isn’t a Ratebeer roadmap. We have to trust that things get better without knowing what the devs actually think ‘better’ is and without knowing when we can expect these changes.

But don’t mind me (a 4 or 5 year premium member) or someone like @Benzai, or maybe even @cgarvieuk leaving Ratebeer over the next year, because some hidden statistics only Joe can see tell him that Ratebeer has never been as active and great as today.

5 Likes

Sounds like most of the “ratings” I see on the UT.

3 Likes