What do you think of SRM?

For some time I have been trying to think of a way of using standard color descriptions in my ratings. I currently use descriptors such as rich yellow, bright yellow, dull yellow, yellow-ochre, dark orange, etc. and I find it quite difficult in some cases, especially when the appearance of beer I’m rating reminds me of ‘beef broth’ or ‘stale dark tea’. I was thinking of Pantone charts such as the following:
http://damonbauer.github.io/Pantone-Sass/
But it’s quite unappealing, calling a NEIPA as Pantone 7404-C, for example.
Then I found out about the SRM notations:

But as far as I can see, nobody uses them either, and the color I’ve just described above does not exist in the chart, although it could be calculated by a spectrophotometer I presume.
May I ask about your views on this?

2 Likes

Take a deep breath. Exhale. Rate a beer without worrying about wavelengths, etc. Try:
light gold
brassy gold
orange tinged gold
brown
ruddy dark brown
and other standard adjectives

3 Likes

Yeah I will stick to using descriptions of actual colours, as above.

I’ve seen only a handful of breweries writing the EBC on their cans and bottles. And I think it’s fine for them to use. But I don’t want to have to look up a chart to see how accurate it is every time I rate a beer, and I don’t know the scale off by heart so it’s not something I can use personally. Also it’s completely unhelpful to all but those who know the scale.

1 Like

and then there is the really shitty looking beer…
https://www.ratebeer.com/tag/fraser-water/

I like the idea of using perceived SRM in the write-up. Wish I had thought of it. Flowery language may paint a subjective and misleading picture, but SRM speaks to facts about the beer.

“Determination of the SRM value involves measuring the attenuation of light of a particular wavelength (430 nm) in passing through 1 cm of the beer

At ~2.5 cm/inch, and a pint glass being say 3 to 5 inches across (bottom/top), how is SRM going to reflect the real world of drinking beer? The color chart doesn’t reflect the reality of most beers I’ve been drinking:

That’s my main problem; not being a native English speaker I’m always unsure whether the adjectives I use make any sense. Lately with the abundance of all those juicy IPAs, it became so difficult for me to record the difference in appearance that I perceive, but cannot really describe differently. Just obsessive thinking, I know.

Can you start adding personal joke tags for everyone else too?

2 Likes

Use real foods for descriptions:

grapefruit juice

orange juice

I’m colour blind. I just make shit up!

Not necessary - your real world colors are what they are for you - if you’re not just making this shit up

1 Like

I prefer EBC.

1 Like

Howdy Ron.

Thank you for what was a very mature response to what was basically just a bit of a shitpost. I do actually try my hardest to colour match with other real-world things where possible. I’m just prepared to be terribly terribly wrong occasionally, and not give a monkeys about that. Plenty of beers have got some variant of “green” from me, which makes Anna facepalm, but I see what I see, and I would recognise it again.

1 Like

[Had to get the Mrs to decipher it for me…]

I can see some of the lines and loops. Ditto when I convert it to greyscale, so it’s not been done perfectly. I’m guessing Colorblind People Are Dumb, but that’s massive extrapolation.

I assume that’s what it’s saying, yes. I tried to find a reverse one which only colour blind people can read, but they are harder to find…

I wouldn’t think it would be possible, I mean something only colour blind people can read

It’ certainly possible. Way back in my PhD days I took a course on use of colour in visualisation, and the audience was presented with a seemingly random selection of colour bars on the overhead “hands up if this makes any sense”. 2 hands go up, including yours truly. The seemingly random colours were in perfect order, but only to 4 eyes in the room.

So to create such an image, all you have to do is make the real similarities (that only we colourtards see) carry the real information, and dope the image with lots of noise (that we colourtards are immune to) to confuse the normies.

Which means something only colour blind people can read without great effort. Looking around the web it seems that “normies” can see anything in the visual spectrum range, but are “handicapped” under certain conditions not applicable to the colour blind. Sort of an evening out of the situations. One thing apparently is that the colour blind have a special military aptitude in that they can detect camouflage much more reliably than the “normies”.