What makes Untappd better than RateBeer currently

I’m gonna stick with excel

1 Like

I did recently start an Untapped account, just so I could see the full beer list at my local beer shop.

I then experimented with adding a few ratings to see what all the fuss was about

I hated it.

The Untapped stats are crap compared to Ratebeer (badges for every other beer don’t do it for me; I much prefer colouring in maps, multiple league tables, and more statistical analysis than you can shake a nonic at).

The Ratebeer forums are great. I couldn’t see anything comparable on Untappd.

The accuracy on Untappd is lamentably bad. The number of times I’ve seen a rare US beer listed at a UK Wetherspoons, just because the beer name shared one word with a UK mass-market beer…

The colour scheme on Untappd is 'orrible.

So I’ll be sticking with Ratebeer until the end (unless the owners dumb it down to a UT clone). Although I will continue to back up my ratings on a spreadsheet just in case… and I’ll continue to withhold my RB premium membership until I get some evidence that the site owners are listening to feedback from long-term users, and responding to legitimate queries/concerns/ideas.

2 Likes

Indeed the Vancouver community (almost all on UT) immediately posted their stats.
I wanted to post that of the local community is the top rater of RB for 2018, but the page goes clunk robot…

I’m not sure where it’s not available because I don’t login with other accounts, but I think that it was removed for preventing abuse (voluntarily or involuntarily; people are used to UT, and they may believe that they will just add a blurred picture of their lipstick laced glass, instead they replace the good and only picture of the label).
Some ideas were thrown around, like enabling the link only if a picture is unavailable, or allowing multiple pictures.
Obviously it takes development hours and the resources are finite.
You can add a picture on the Beer Add page, or sending it by email.
Which reminds me, beware that there is no machine reading the mails; as usual, the job is done by any admin who has time to spare, so there is no guarantee on how long it takes.

The dropdown on the right side allows you to pick any past year.

And just to comment about Untappd: I double dipped for a year or so, then I gave up.
Crappy design; sadly the same shit we are moving into here (wide spread info is not good for analysis and decision making, just ok for bored kids that swipe without reading).
And too many idiots throwing 4.5 stars at drain pours.

6 Likes

Just got an email from Untappd about my 2018 in beer where they claim they had 147 millions check-ins during 2018 and

Over 486,000 of those beers were added to Untappd last year alone

Even if you subtract unnecessary vintages and homebrews added on their database, that’s a really huge number. Is RB really that behind? :hushed:

2 Likes

Yeah, for sheer volume, no one can compete with Untapped but should that be a goal? I reckon not.

For reference, I think we put in about 1 million reviews every year, and, as you can see here, we added a bit more than 100k beers last year.

It shouldn’t, and it’s a lost battle.
We have our million-ish reviews, which is huge anyway, and we have to find a way to make the best out of it.

3 Likes

Not overly bothered by headline numbers but
If we’re only covering 1 in 4 beers thats a problem.

1 Like

If they pop into existence briefly, never to be brewed again, then - and I accept this might be an unpopular opinion - little of value is lost.

I would be willing to bet that most of brewers of the handle-turning tick factories couldn’t even identify their own beers in a blind tasting. Where’s the parent/child relationship that used to exist? It seems to have been replaced by a queen/worker relationship, and who cares if a few hundred get squashed occasionally, there’ll be plenty more? (Well, hopefully not…)

And 1 in 4? Have you forgotten Theodore Sturgeon?

3 Likes

Might be an unpopular opinion, but my thoughts exactly!

1 Like

The reason i joined RB was that when ever i looked up a beer RB knew about it, where as BA didnt

3 Likes

Same here. Back then I had to add every other Belgian or Dutch beer I was rating.

I just added a beer that’s not on Untappd yet!

7 Likes

I have surprisingly added 4 beers this month to RB that were not on Untappd (the wife added them to Untappd afterwards) so on abit of a roll on that front.

In other news noticed Untappd posted the top venue check ins of 2018, maybe not a total surprise what came out on top (even if it was only across two days last year) :smiley:

4 Likes

Are we talking about Sturgeon’s Law?

1 Like

I added a couple the other day. Both local.

The new barcode scanner on Untapped is the bomb. Even in low light, it just takes a second

They know how to organize a beer festival

watch out its Weather

OMG! I’m so relieved I didn’t go. The planning was bush league.

AND Untappd users confuse bars and breweries so bars are entered as breweries and beers are attributed to them - and the users likely aren’t so sophisticated and thoughtful as “we” are - so the corrections don’t get made - but why should Untappd care?

"We would be having multiple cows if that occured on this site.