What makes Untappd better than RateBeer currently

For reference, I think we put in about 1 million reviews every year, and, as you can see here, we added a bit more than 100k beers last year.

It shouldn’t, and it’s a lost battle.
We have our million-ish reviews, which is huge anyway, and we have to find a way to make the best out of it.

3 Likes

Not overly bothered by headline numbers but
If we’re only covering 1 in 4 beers thats a problem.

1 Like

If they pop into existence briefly, never to be brewed again, then - and I accept this might be an unpopular opinion - little of value is lost.

I would be willing to bet that most of brewers of the handle-turning tick factories couldn’t even identify their own beers in a blind tasting. Where’s the parent/child relationship that used to exist? It seems to have been replaced by a queen/worker relationship, and who cares if a few hundred get squashed occasionally, there’ll be plenty more? (Well, hopefully not…)

And 1 in 4? Have you forgotten Theodore Sturgeon?

3 Likes

Might be an unpopular opinion, but my thoughts exactly!

1 Like

The reason i joined RB was that when ever i looked up a beer RB knew about it, where as BA didnt

3 Likes

Same here. Back then I had to add every other Belgian or Dutch beer I was rating.

I just added a beer that’s not on Untappd yet!

7 Likes

I have surprisingly added 4 beers this month to RB that were not on Untappd (the wife added them to Untappd afterwards) so on abit of a roll on that front.

In other news noticed Untappd posted the top venue check ins of 2018, maybe not a total surprise what came out on top (even if it was only across two days last year) :smiley:

4 Likes

Are we talking about Sturgeon’s Law?

1 Like

I added a couple the other day. Both local.

The new barcode scanner on Untapped is the bomb. Even in low light, it just takes a second

They know how to organize a beer festival

watch out its Weather

OMG! I’m so relieved I didn’t go. The planning was bush league.

AND Untappd users confuse bars and breweries so bars are entered as breweries and beers are attributed to them - and the users likely aren’t so sophisticated and thoughtful as “we” are - so the corrections don’t get made - but why should Untappd care?

"We would be having multiple cows if that occured on this site.

I think thats unfair. Untappd has a much Wider Userbase than RB. SO there going to be much more casual use, Thats not a bad thing , just a different thing. RB oddly seems to have a reputation of being Snobbish. Mostly as its mostly serious geeks. Dont think thats fair either. The market has massively changed since i joined RB both in whats out there and the general userbase for keeping track of what beers they have drunk

I still say id just join untapped if i came along now, but im thankful for what RB brought to me as i was lucky enough to join this journey 10-15 years ago

5 Likes

This

1 Like

Been to Vermont last weekend…I had to enter 23 of the 55 products I tried…(including from breweries considered as top breweries recently…not a single product was missing on Untappd…even the newest ones… (not even mentioning how a pian in the %?$ it was to try to enter those new products with the app)

A giant Userbase…this is the most valued thing Untappd has that RB doesn’t… Every products is there and fast, brewers and affiliated users help to keep an updated database of their beers especially because of that.

And with that giant userbase, there’s enough ratings for each product, even without elaborated reviews, to have a realistic score in order to know if they are a must have or not.

4 Likes

Yeah the market exploded, and Untappd exploded onot the scene. The two are not unsurpisingly tied. Back 10 years ago. Intertesting beer was a niche market , and mostly attracted those who had a passion, now its much more mass market. So it attracks a far wider demographic. This isnt better or worse just different. and Those that have the passion Find untappd to be wider data. so its the natural place.

I joined RB as in Europe 10 years ago, RB knew way more than Ba
not that i thoiugh RB was better, but it knew more

Thats what RB has been trying to do recently . but failing it easy for those that are already here

Welcome to my world. On average I have to add 60% for what I drink to the database.
However, I don’t really trust what the masses say on Untappd. I simply still add beers to the data base because the stats here are still far better than Untappd.

Plus the causal Untappd user never says one word about a beer. I mean how much can you really believe: “Wow this is awesome”
from some Joe Blow who has only sampled 400 beers in his entire life?

1 Like