What makes Untappd better than RateBeer currently

On untappd, you can actually add beers.

1 Like

Their search works!

3 Likes

Huh?

1 Like

I suspect Marco is caught in the verification trap and has lost his creation rights.

hate there search , if you dont complete any word (other than the last) it wont find anything

1 Like

The search is far superior on Untappd, only thing I use that site for is to find beers Iā€™ve already searched on RB with no result. Then some of the time it will be on RB after all, just need words in correct order! No wonder beers get duplicated on here.

1 Like

Thereā€™s plenty more duplicates on UT, sadly - too many idiot users canā€™t even be bothered to search, or are too pissed to type straight, or too in love with the idea of ā€œbeing the firstā€ to tick something. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

At Ratebeer you always have the honor of being the first to enter and rate a beer, unless it has been around for years, there might be 7-8 rates.

11 Likes

To put some numbers behind this and for all of us to get a bit of a perspective. Out of 50 beers rated at my US trip I had to open 22 of them.

1 Like

" Untappd is a social-beer application, that uses gamification to help people discover new beers and places around them. Users can check-in to a beer, rate them, and share them with friends. As you use the app, it can recommend new beers around your local area based on your taste profile."

This is what makes Untappd not better than RateBeer. Period.

1 Like

Are all those RB stats something other than gamification?

Half of active users were begging for new regions so they could colour their maps. Unfortunately on RB you first have to enter your beers and only then you can discover them.

4 Likes

But unfortunately on RB there arenā€™t any new maps to colour in :joy:

4 Likes

As Iznogud says, if you think this site doesnā€™t use gamification too you are quite mad.

3 Likes

Itā€™s not so much whether as how!

Translation: I think this is the oneā€¦

An UT dude rating a beer NEVER seen in my hometown.

He got some badgesšŸ¤Ŗ

One of the wordier ratings Iā€™ve seen on the UT!

1 Like

I think the wires are crossed wrt gamification. Since I started using Untappd as a backup Iā€™ve earned 2189 badges, yet here RateBeer itself has earned the ā€œIā€™ve Fallen and Canā€™t Get Upā€ badge 400 times and Iā€™ve ticked only 5 regions noted mainly for bestiality-linked folklore and harbouring war criminals.

On the other hand, thereā€™s Monastery Brewery Tycoon manager. Or soon there will be.

it does make laugh when people tick beers on UT when they clearly have got the name wrong. They drink a local Surrey beer and instead tick a beer from Nebraska with a vaguely similar name.

2 Likes

Tho to be fair Iā€™ve seen an experienced RB person add a beer to a brewery in the UK which had a similar name to one in CA.

from a news article a few years back:

ā€œthe popular and influential RateBeer app and website, a virtual gathering spot for connoisseurs who like to keep track of what theyā€™re drinking as well as enthusiasts looking for ideas about what to drink next. In both ways, RateBeer moves the needle in craft beerā€

1 Like