What makes Untappd better than RateBeer currently

If I can remember which beer(s) I saw this on I will do that!

You could do that on RB too I reckon but would it stick?

Youā€™ll have to help me here, which post of mine are you referring to? @Bitterbill

ā€œThey allow everything as a new entry.ā€ With regard to vintages of beers.

Ah yes. Well it not something I want, on the contrary, Iā€™d hate it if theyā€™d do this on here. Like @Borresteijn said: Leffe Blond 2014 is the same beer as Leffe Blond 2015, nothing has changed. I like to read peoples ratings so yes, if people do enter the ratings of their vintages (@LazyPyro) I enjoy reading them, but I donā€™t think it should be a separate entry.

1 Like

How aboot Thomas Hardy Ales? Would you be against having multiple vintages of it on RB? Oh wait, 3 different brewers are involved so that mutes my ill advised comment.

Okay. How do you feel aboot the multiple entries of Deschutes Black Butte Porter Anniversary beers on BA? I reckon that separate entries are warranted.

Whatever the ā€œruleā€ will be, there will always be some beer thatā€™s an exception for whatever reason. Itā€™s never black and white.

3 Likes

Well the majority of people donā€™t write a review for beers but they to look for it so UT is attractive because you donā€™t have to write a review to give a score, you have that score made public and viewable by friends instantly. Because it reach a wide public, of course the Beer database will be more complete. IMO, RB will still be the place for complete review but they need to make ticks relevant just to reach that wider public.

1 Like

UT venue suck until they are verified paid Venue. As you say, anywhere is considered a venue, making the place search in UT irrelevant compared to RB

Yeah, you can add your home as a venue but thatā€™s where I do most of my drinking. So how does that suck? You can still add where you bought the beer, on the app not the website. And when you do a venue search, private venues(homes) always show up last.

Letā€™s say youā€™re travelling to Amsterdam and want to plan ahead and make a map of the best venues. Have you tried to do this based on just untappd map?! Ratebeer places part is way better for that (and it has its fair share of problems, Iā€™m not denying that). As far as places go the main advantage of untappd is verified venues feature.

1 Like

One of the reasons why I started to use untappd is festival beer lists, really easy to see what you have already tried and what not. The same is true about venues. You can instantly see what are new ticks and what are not.

1 Like

Okay, I see the complaint that beers arenā€™t addedā€¦ wellā€¦ they have to be added by someone, they wonā€™t add themselves. UT has less such problems because of the size of the database - whoever gets first will add them, sometimes even the brewery. Since thereā€™s less of us here, youā€™ll be more likely to add them. And thatā€™s why Joeā€™s bragging of ā€œnever higher numbersā€ has no chance of phasing me. Iā€™m just not seeing those never higher numbers adding to the database significantly to reduce chances of this happening.

Iā€™m actually used to that as Iā€™m nearly always the one who adds the locally available beers if they need to be added, but in places with more specials, I can see it being slightly more annoying.

Sounds like weā€™re all agreed, Untappd is much better than RateBeer. Itā€™s time to move with the herd to greener pastures, itā€™s time to give up those MySpace accounts. ā€œBut Facebook doesnā€™t let me choose a song for my profileā€ - you guys.

Jokes aside, it sounds like some of you feel like youā€™re being forced to do this. A hobby above all else should be fun. Fundamentally, Untappd is more fun. Being able to comment on friends check-ins, add pictures, write joke reviews without them getting deleted and even just toasting each otherā€™s check-ins is fun. Adding funny venues is also fun. I get a laugh when I see my friend check-in rare beers at the strip club next to his house. The beer list for venues on RateBeer was a good idea but a venue rarely has the beers listed for it on here so itā€™s kind of pointless. Obviously the badges are wack but theyā€™re very easily ignored and some of the trainspotters like them so who cares, they also generate revenue through sponsored badges

On a functionality side, I think Untappd has a better rating system for the task at hand. Most people (and by that, I mean not you guys) arenā€™t interested in analyzing a beer in great depth, writing 2 sentences about how the moderate bitterness cleans away the residual sweetness from the maple or declaring notes of horseblanket or any of that crap and it is a load of pretentious crap, Iā€™m speaking as someone that used to do it. That kind of information can serve a purpose (i.e breweries trying to achieve consistency) but not in the RateBeer or Untappd context, doing it on here is the equivalent of having a wank with the curtains open. When we as consumers look at a beer, we arenā€™t only concerned about the standalone smell, taste, aroma or mouthfeel, we only really care about the beer as a whole if deciding to buy it. Nobody decides to buy a beer because they heard it has a great mouthfeel but tastes like shit. For that reason, thereā€™s no need for separating the attributes because the average of any one attribute is never looked at. You guys like the attributes because youā€™re used to them, I get that people struggle with changes to habit. We donā€™t need an in-depth analysis of these attributes to decide if a beer is good or not and thatā€™s all that most people care about, if the beer is good or not so for that reason, the overall average score is whatā€™s of most importance. Given that, the more contributions you have then the more reliable that score is (Untappd wins). Someone mentioned the anti-social aspect of rating on RateBeer and itā€™s completely true. Having been at RateBeer tastings and Untappd tastings, one of those groups spend most of their time looking at their phone and talking garbage about tasting notes. Untappd is quick and easy and achieves the task at hand. Obsession over anything is rarely good for people, Iā€™ve seen a lot less obsessive behavior from Untappd users but then Iā€™m sure it happens, that could just be down to the RateBeer and Untappd users that I know. Obsessive behavior seems to be the norm (speaking as someone who used to obsess) rather than the exception on RateBeer whereas itā€™s the other way round with the Untappd users that I know.

I like that Untappd has vintages listed (thereā€™s always a vintageless listing as well). If thereā€™s a bad vintage of Dark Lord, Huna, Assassin etc then I want to know because I want to avoid that release. Beer tastes also change over time. If Westy 12 was released today, would it even get close to the RateBeer top 50? Vintages allow us to track the changes in tastes as well.

The only thing I donā€™t like about Untappd is the 0.25 increment scale. Iā€™ve never seen anything like that, imo it should be 1-50 or even a percentage would be better.

For the people that think ā€œwhat about all those ratings Iā€™ve logged on RateBeerā€ - when you start to contribute to an online database or social media page, itā€™s probably not wise to go in to it with the mindset that itā€™s permanent. Itā€™s just a number next to your name, try not to obsess about it too much. Iā€™m sure the people on MySpace that had thousands of friends have managed to move on. Something I else I like about Untappd is that thereā€™s less focus on how many ratings people have. To my knowledge, thereā€™s not a league table of people with the most ratings.

For the people trying to make RateBeer become Untappd, maybe just join Untappd. The changes to my drinking habits as a result of moving from RateBeer to Untappd have been only positive. Iā€™m no longer interested in tiny samples or drinking shit beer for the ticks. Drinking beer as a whole has become a much more relaxed, sociable and enjoyable affair.

My day job is to advise researchers on data collection methodologies using mobile applications. I would go with the Untappd approach given the task is to evaluate beer.

6 Likes

I actually like attributes because I like attributes. Because RB-like and BJCP-like breakdowns of beer interest me far more than mindful or mindless ticking. Donā€™t suppose too much, youā€™ll just shoot your arguments down.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a fair point. I used to like them too until I got used to them not being there, now I donā€™t miss them but youā€™re right, I shouldnā€™t speak for how anybody else feels.

I have tried to go full untappd more than once (because of the rb bugs, new beer page etc.). Then I get some untappd error or things donā€™t work like I expect, and then I get frustratedā€¦ Also, I love stats and untappd sucks at that department (without premium at least, but what I have seen from the premium, it still kind of sucks compared to rb).

I share beers with untappd users quite often and saying that untappd users donā€™t obsess much about it is just not true. More active untappd users are at least as obsessive as rb users + they also rate small pours. From my experience I would also argue that anti-social behavior is more down to what kind of person someone is than whether he or she uses rb or untappd.

And I donā€™t agree that attributes and analyzing doesnā€™t matter, at least I can get more enjoyment from beers now (after analyzing 6000 or more beers) than before joining rb. Or as famous Mill quote says: ā€œIt is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied.ā€

Untappd doesnā€™t have as much stats as RateBeer for sure but Iā€™m not premium and thereā€™s enough there to keep me satisfied. What stats in particular are you looking for? I think theyā€™ve added a lot in the past few years.

My point on the obsessive nature of the users was that itā€™s a minority of Untappd users that obsessively tick tiny pours (consider how many people use Untappd) whereas itā€™s the majority of Ratebeer users, obviously thatā€™s a generalisation but the exceptions to that are inversed on each platform from what Iā€™ve seen anyway, which is all I can speak for.

When I say antisocial, Iā€™m talking about a room full of people burried in their phones or standing at a bar or festival not communicating with friends and family around them. I donā€™t mean overtly rude or obnoxious

Agreed, i know what you mean that there is allot of non verified venues when searching on UT that clutters it up if just doing a search without knowing the names of bars you are looking for.

But there are so many locations now that are verified in certain parts of the world that everything you will be interested is verified only.

I would say that at least 80-90% of the best bars you would want to visit here in Copenhagen are verified venues now, and more are joining all the time. Just checked and 31 verified venues within a 3 mile radius. A few months back was only around 15 verified, so its ramping up. Of course this all depends where in the world you are/searching for places though, so experiences will vary.