What makes Untappd better than RateBeer currently

But with RB they are all verified venues as long as local admin is on the case quickly :wink:

Indeed :wink:

Yes, this varies a lot depending on where you are. In North-Rhine-Westphalia (17 million inhabitants) for example, I think there are now three verified venues (one just for a few days), one bar in DĆ¼sseldorf, one shop in Bonn and a single shop in Cologne. When you are in Bratislava (SVK), the next verified venue is in Vienna.

@anon22440142 you start by saying ā€œwe all agreeā€, but actually I completely disagreeā€¦

UT more fun --> not for me
Being able to comment on friends check-ins --> donā€™t find that fun and donā€™t care about it
Add pictures --> donā€™t find it fun and donā€™t care about it
Write joke reviews without them getting deleted --> not fun, very annoying so Iā€™m very happy they get deleted
Toasting each otherā€™s check-ins --> not fun, useless to me, I donā€™t care whether anyone likes it or not.
Adding funny venues --> also not fun, also very annoying.
I get a laugh when I see my friend check-in rare beers at the strip club next to his house. --> I think itā€™s childish and Iā€™ve wasted some precious seconds of my life reading that sort of crap
Untappd has a better rating system --> disagree completely, if people donā€™t even think about what theyā€™re drinking their score is completely and utterly useless to me

You guys like the attributes because youā€™re used to them, I get that people struggle with changes to habit. --> disagree with this as well. When I would just judge a beer by ā€œlike or dislikeā€, which was what I did before I joined RB, I was all over the place with my scores. Didnā€™t make sense at all and I wasnā€™t judging them properly. Now I think about the different aspects / attributes and value each aspect, which leads to a much much more balanced, deliberated thought-about score in the end.

the more contributions you have then the more reliable that score is --> disagree with this too, see the above about thinking about what youā€™re drinking

the anti-social aspect of rating on RateBeer --> disagree, donā€™t care about it. That said, I am an asocial prick

talking garbage about tasting notes --> love it!

I like that Untappd has vintages listed --> Iā€™m happy that RB hasnā€™t.

We do agree on one thing though: For the people trying to make RateBeer become Untappd, maybe just join Untappd. --> Yes, I agree with you on this.

10 Likes

My first paragraph was a joke but I can understand why you might not have got that given your apparent aversion for fun, sorry if the sarcasm wasnā€™t obvious, I thought the MySpace/Facebook stuff would have made it clear. If the seconds youā€™ve wasted reading joke locations for reviews on Untappd were so precious then I have some terrible news for you about what youā€™re spending your time doing on this website.

My comment about more contributions giving a more valid score is true whether you agree with it or not. That aside, analyzing a beer in depth does not make your opinion more valid, as youā€™re suggesting. The vast majority of beer drinkers (non raters included here) do not analyse their beer in depth so in the case of the people who drink beer but donā€™t rate but use beer scoring websites for reference, given that they typically donā€™t analyse their beer in depth, then the opinion of the pool of people that rated in the Untappd fashion is more valid to them (numbers aside). Most people just want to know if a beer is good or not.

Please take everything else I said as simply my opinion and a possible explanation for why Untappd is so much more popular than RateBeer, which was the original question at hand rather than why you like RateBeer or dislike Untappd. Iā€™ve also had conversations with other Untappd users about why they like the platform over RateBeer and most express a lot of the same reasons that Iā€™ve listed so by all means, disagree all you like.

Less bugs

2 Likes

@anon22440142 sorry didnā€™t get the sarcasm indeed. Also donā€™t know what myspace isā€¦

I was in a hurry writing my previous reply so I was a bit short and blunt but I do still agree with my comments. Especially about valueing the scores. The UT people around me really donā€™t think about the beer - exceptions are there of course, mostly RB users whoā€™ve changed to UT - they just tick as it is like / dislike. Iā€™ve written and explained in tons of replies how being forced to think about what I was drinking has helped me to really understand beer. Similar experience as @martjoobolut also describes.

My reply also only just stated my opinion, I was not and still am not speaking for others.

1 Like

On the clipboard at Old Chicago.

I may have to look into it again (it was some time back when I looked into it), maybe they have improved it enough. In other topic someone mentioned that they have more stats comingā€¦

If you look just from the user numbers persective, then it is definitely true. Untappd has a lot more casual users. But if you look from the ticks persective, then most ticks still come from the obsessive users (obsessive untappd user can tick hundreds of beers in one festival, casual user ticks maybe that amount in a year or even less).

I donā€™t see much difference to be honest as it is more down to the person and how social he/she is. Of course I do usually both - untappd and ratebeer, so I guess Iā€™m double antisocial :smiley:

That is really similar to the argument made by the people who believe that earth is flatā€¦ I think that analyzing something makes the opinion more valid as you can give reasons for your opinion. Truth may be relative, but that does not mean that every opinion is equal or even valid.

That you can ā€œrateā€ the same beer multiple times. Gotta love that!

Come on man, equating what I said to flat Earthers is a little offensive but you were hopefully just saying that to try and discredit what I said. Flat Earthers reject proven facts. Analyzing a beer in detail does not turn your opinion in to a provable fact. Youā€™d think it might make your description more accurate but on reading a lot of reviews, the lack of consistency would suggest thatā€™s also not true. Possibly because the average beer reviewer on RateBeer is not an expert (despite what a lot of them think). Here are 2 RateBeer reviews of the same beer. Iā€™m not calling out the reviewers, just demonstrating that analyzing a beer does not make the review more accurateā€¦

ā€œLight hazy amberā€¦ Small white headā€¦ soft dry orange fruits noseā€¦ Light dry bitter orange peach fruit 3.6/5ā€

ā€œPours hazy yellow, nose is floral, toffee, onion, taste is sweet, light citrus, floral. 3.1/5ā€

So, was the beer amber or yellow, sweet or dry, tasting of orange and peach or toffee and onion. Here is an Untappd review of the same beer. To me, as someone that doesnā€™t dissect the beers that I drink, itā€™s of more useā€¦

ā€œLight and refreshing pale with serious flavor 4.0/5ā€

Youā€™re right that analyzing something makes the opinion more valid, you need to experience the beer to have an opinion in the first place. My argument is that analyzing it in great detail vs a quick assessment doesnā€™t make the opinion more valid. To make the review more valid then it needs to be presented as provable facts (as with your flat Earch analogy), i.e figures on SRM, IBU, PSI, basically a boring as hell review with no subjectivity. Reviews aside, the scores given are entirely subjective so the ratebeer scores definitely arenā€™t more valid when looked at individually. The validity of the average score can be measured by how likely or close someone is to agree with it on their review and with a higher number of contributing scores then the more likely or closer it is that someoneā€™s score will be in line with the average, thatā€™s something that has been proven in statistical analysis, so therefor it is true that with more contributions to an average score then the more valid that score is (thatā€™s a factor in statistical validity, as is having a data collection methodology suitable for the task). To deny that is to deny proven facts which is what flat Earthers do :slight_smile:

Given that the average beer drinker (not ratebeer users) does not analyze the beer in great depth but instead makes a quick assessment then the reviews and scores on Untappd are more likely to be useful to them and in-line with their own opinion.

1 Like

Top two say ā€œprobably an NEIPA with a fair amount of mosaic hops - avoidā€, very useful.
Final one says basically nothing to me, useless.

You can find 2 ratings that are opposite in virtually every beer Iā€™m sure. I once have found a user who wrote a beer was black while it was a blond. He or she did that on multiple occasions so it wasnā€™t an incident but it would provide an opposite rating in all those beers.

Still we are discussing something different. What I, and some others, have argued is basically that to rate a beer here you are being forced to think a little about what you are drinking. This, in our opinion, makes ratings here more valid than a not thought through tick. Hence the average score here is more valid. Not individual ratings per se. Iā€™m not going through the ā€œnot everyone just randomly ticks on UT / not everyone on RB thinks about what heā€™s drinkingā€ again, thatā€™s clear, there are always exceptions and itā€™s about the majority.

I guess we sinply wonā€™t come to an agreement here. You value numbers, but in my opinion a lot of thoughless reviews are still not very valuable. Iā€™d rather have a handful of dissected beer reviews as you named em, even if they contradict. But as I said, guess we have to agree to disagree here.

2 Likes

I think youā€™re misinterpreting the definition of the term valid to mean valuable. The in-depth reviews on RateBeer are of more value to you (we completely agree on that) because theyā€™re written and approached in the same way that you like to drink and assess beer. I also agree, thereā€™s no point continuing to argue over semantics.

Except you wouldnā€™t avoid it, would you? Youā€™d drink it just so you can come on here to write some garbage and give it a low score :+1::v:

2 Likes

Only if I was still a tickerā€¦ Who said I was good at following advice???

(Shhhhh, nobody mention that it all gets written into a file on my phone now!!!)

Iā€™ll just put this here

5 Likes

No idea what this could possibly be in reference toā€¦ @services @joet any ideas?

Heā€™s the Untappd dude.

Ha! All the more relavent.

1 Like