What makes Untappd better than RateBeer currently

Ratebeer destroys UT when it comes to cool doge pics.

5 Likes

At which point I tried to post a doge pic, and Iā€™m told itā€™s not the right size! Fuck this site. Itā€™s a fucking nightmare.

2 Likes

The dog in your picture doesnā€™t happen to be a shitty mouse-sized Chihuahua or something similar subpar canine? Because these are not allowed here, and rightfully so.

Sorry? Who are you?

1 Like

Please refrain from posting pictures of dogs that do not have the right size. Anything smaller than a shoebox or larger than a 19th century steamer trunk is not allowed and will give an error message when uploading, sorry.

3 Likes

Brendan says ā€¦ eat shit !!!

1 Like

I thought we were banned in China for recognizing Tibet (and probably Taiwan too).

1 Like

Ou ou upgrade to my previous point: active devsā€¦

1 Like

I guess an explosion in new users who just check in places and tick beers could explain joetā€™s assertion. Iā€™ve seen a few of these guys on Japan specific places/beers. Iā€™ve also seen a large drop in people adding new beers as the community here has been gutted with half of people who actively added places/beers no longer doing so.

I definitely spend less time here and am more likely to say forget it, if a beers is not in the database.

These new tick/check in only users are useless to me as they give me very little to go on in terms of what a beer place is like or if a beer is worth trying out.

1 Like

Thatā€™s true. And they have little incentive to actually invest in the site. A classic seeders vs. leechers conundrum. Leechers will always be way way more numerous and their numbers might grow exponentially, but seeders are those without whom things cannot be done. The ā€œ1%ā€ that creates 99% of content and curates for 100% of content. Untappd isnā€™t free of that. Say, in Croatia, most people will leech and rely on a few zealots to add entries. Once, a beer that wasnā€™t even that rare went for at least a month without its own entry because everybody was waiting for those few guys to add it and they intentionally wouldnā€™t that time. :rofl:

Iā€™m just not seeing, say, that massive Chinese influx doing anything for the site (bar some previously present people perhaps).

Morris says ā€œeat shit.ā€ I asked him if he thought that was a rude thing to say to a user nobody here knows, but he says he canā€™t be bothered to come up with anything nicer.

3 Likes

I just want to see more badges (for styles etc).

Iā€™ve got 2,656 badges on Untappd

4 Likes

Thank you.

2 Likes

Problem is, with RB there are still a few whining seeders (including myself) but without any leecher to support thatā€¦ Been to Vermont last weekend and I had to add new entries for half of what I tasted or bought ā€¦and a good part of the other half didnā€™t have more than 10 ratings. All the entries were on UT with a lot of them over 300 scoresā€¦

At least youā€™re adding them. :wink:

You see Iā€™m a special type, a former seeder whoā€™s now a leecher but who still adds all things he finds and who is even an adminā€¦ I guess that makes me aā€¦ leeder?

3 Likes

yay?

Youā€™re still a seeder then. And that makes ya a great person! :smiley:

Dunno, by leechers I primarily meant the people who basically use the database (to buy, visit etc.), particularly the places section, but never contribute, not even ratings of any kind. Ratings are something and yeah, we definitely lack people like that -> Iā€™m not feeling it as much in Croatia (we have a lot of raters per capita), but itā€™s still very much felt.

Thing isā€¦ Itā€™s dead easy and intuitive to tick UT-style right now, both in the app and on the site. Itā€™s not an issue. Absolutely no reason to stupidify anything. The community & pic-adding part might be. And mostly the fact that weā€™re arriving 6-7 years too late to a more serious mobile app market.

1 Like

We have that: awards. Thankfully we donā€™t get notifications of that. Iā€™m not against a system with more awards / badges or whatever theyā€™re called, as long as there is a way to shut it off so to speak, notifications at least. If it means I have to click one more time it is already super annoying. So if anyone wants to collect awards or badges for every fart, the UT style basically, fine by me but please give me a way to escape from that.