What to add these 10% ABV Specials As?

One of my local breweries has produced 6 limited edition iced beers - one a week up to Christmas. Five of their existing beers plus their take on a Sahti. All of them will be 10% ABV.

Now, the first was their milk stout so that’s straight forward - I added this as an Impy Stout. However they are also producing 10% versions of an Amber, a Californian Common and an APA. Would these remain in the same style or should the latter, for instance, be added an American Strong Ale.

Sounds like American strong ale, depending on what the brewer markets them as. Haven’t we typically respected brewer’s requests regarding style choices? They don’t meet guidelines, and definitely sound more like strong ales to me.

Sahti can venture into that abv, but a pale is rarely above 7, and normally lower. Same for Cali Common, but what do I know.

Imperial California Common will be the standout style of 2019.

ICCiL

1 Like

In America they have. In the UK we realise how much of the brewers style categorisation is based purely on marketing and nothing to do with what they actually are. We therefore tend to decide the styles ourselves. Not that this is always correct though, but generally it is more honest.

In terms of marketing, other than the new one they are just using the existing bottles witth a sticker stuck on: Limited Edition - 10% Iced Beer’. Will just add those that do not fall under their existing styles as American Strong Ales.

They haven’t done the obvious and produced an Eisbock version of their Bock.

How would a California Common qualify as a ale, let aloe an American Strong Ale? If it was created as a California Common, i.e., a lager fermented at warm temperatures, then it should be classified a such, even if they got it up to 10% ABV.

1 Like

Sometimes. Sometimes not. 120 Minute IPA was listed here as an American Strong Ale for a decade. If any of the “white” imperial stouts are still being listed as imperial stouts instead of ASAs or something (anything) else, I would have a problem with that. Doesn’t matter what the brewer says in that case. If it’s not an imperial stout or a stout or a dry stout or a foreign stout…
If it’s blonde, it’s not a stout.

Thank you for the feedback. That’s why I was asking.

However the Amber and American Pale Ales are still Ales so will stick to my plan…

Actually… Amber Ale… hmmm… stick as that. Change to English Strong Ale… although that’s Barley Wine strength… Dunno!