What ya drinkin' part XVIII

Do it for…science!

4 Likes

Stuck it in the freezer a bit ago. Say another 10 minutes. It spent 30 or 40 years in a completely dark “cavernous” multi-room concrete storage area in San Diego.

3 Likes

Yay!!

3 Likes

Call me a fool, if you will, but I just bought a King’s Ale for ~US$67. This will be my third attempt. 1, the seller reneged, 1, the bottle arrived broken.

Wish me luck!!!

1 Like

Best of. Couldn’t find a “luck” emjoi

1 Like

Rating of The Old Fort Brewing Company’s Yukon Gold. Emblem of Mountie on the cap.

Bottle from Pacific Liquor in San Diego / purchased from ancient stock kept in cool concrete rooms in July 2010

A slight pfft as cap is removed. Pours clear amber/gold with a few white bubbles - shows very small bubbles in the body. Caramel aroma. Shows oxidation. Texture is rather watery. Pretty flat. Flavor is mostly oxidation. Not terrible - I don’t mind it usually. There might be a hint of saaz grass/spice. A bit earthy. Might seem to be an odd comparison, but I’ve had ciders that I found more distasteful.

3 Likes

So, a lot better than you expected, eh? How cool is that!

Well, cool in several ways. It was drinkable, tho not enjoyable. It didn’t stink. My curiosity is satisfied. I no longer have to wonder whether the cap will corrode thru.

1 Like

Any floaties?

No floaties, and not even any residue in the bottom of the bottle. A few dark spots on the inside of the cap.

1 Like

Wow! That’s pretty incredible.

Thanks for posting your impressions of that oldie. I appreciate it.

Love that beer. Wish I could get it fresh. Last I saw was dated 11/17. WTF!!! I can pound a few of them bitches. One of my faves, when fresh.

3 Likes

Laughing Monk Devil’s Hoard Belgian IS

4 Likes

Funny you mention that, these are also old.
But they were clearly indicated and marked down as such.
OK and bitter as hell but missing the cat and fruit.
Also, the last old Stone I drank had bubblegum and this also has a hint of that.
Oh well for 5 bucks fuggit.
Oh and they are very consistently fresh here in all fairness.

3 Likes

I loved their Delicious IPA, didn’t care for their Scorpion Bowl.

1 Like

Not here in MD. Always too far out of date and no discount. What pisses me off is they have a new brewery in VA. so you would think it would be easy to get fresh product here. Bummer.

2 Likes

Definitely a valid argument.

1 Like

I love to try the weird stuff, but this one is just not good.

6 Likes

6 Likes

6 Likes