What ya drinkin’ part XXIII (Part 2)

Based on web info this was a one off for an English business. (Edwin Cheshire in Stansted).
LIkely brewed in 1985. The business dissolved ca. 2000. In 2010 I was looking for singles in a San Diego liquor store. The owner offered to let me see his “collection” of “rare” beers in the basement. Sort of like the basement of the bad guy in Silence of the Lambs. Completely dark with lots of little rooms. Crumbling concrete walls. Cold. Shelving was protected from light with decaying cardboard despite the lights being off. A small light bulb in each room. A couple didn’t work. He offered me free choice for $1 a beer. Took a varied dozen. Upstairs he charged 50 cents. He was really having a good time sharing. When it came time to clear out something from upstairs, he had removed remnants to the basement. One or two turned out to be rateable. Not this one. Not terrible. Just a bit of carbonation remains. Quite malty. A light touch of smoke. On a blind test I might have thought it a current beer.

8 Likes

Cool story bro! :beers:

4 Likes

Kern River Class X (which I haven’t had in at least 5 years and is my favorite of all the BBA stouts I’ve ever had) fliched from my daughter’s beer fridge since I’m staying to take care of the dogs since the high was 109F today. They’re at the coast with high 60’s!

6 Likes

This is a cool intro page for your future memoir. I probably would have thought he was trying to harvest a kidney or lure me to his dungeon. Might have preemptively killed the man or tripped over myself running out.

Cheers.

5 Likes

Not easy to run with an armload of beer!

4 Likes

de

5 Likes

sent a pic:

6 Likes

Yes, super cool details! :+1:

3 Likes

6 Likes

1. Look at the sludge sticking to the bottle. I won’t buy any more despite it tasting not half bad.
6 Likes

All of Averys big beers tend to develop sludge when aged. Still tasty, just pour carefully.

5 Likes

Crooked Can Space Cowboi Cloudy DIPA

6 Likes

The Bruery La Petite Provision

6 Likes

Democracy Brewing Body Language Hazy IPA

6 Likes

Ummm, yeah. Not good. Looks like the brewery will have to be added. Not worth my effort at this point.

6 Likes

Sent pic:

7 Likes

7 Likes

My 100th helles here on RateBeer :beers:

8 Likes

6 Likes

6 Likes