When you first got into craft beer.....what has changed?

I am no longer the only person with a big beard.

Apparently I am now a hipster, since I like beer and having a beard.

1 Like

They didn’t make stuff like this back then.

3 Likes

Aint no future in drinkin concrete bruh! :grinning:

2 Likes

You’ll be shittin cinder blocks! :rofl:

2 Likes

Half thinking about going out there and trying this Adroit Theory concoction this weekend…

When I started drinking craft beer there were no breweries in Knoxville. Now at least 75% of the beer I drink in bars is brewed within 15 miles of my house.

3 Likes

As far as the local scene, things have changed massively. I had my first beer in 06…there were 2 production breweries in the Dallas-Fort Worth area and a handful of brewpubs, most of which are national chains. Now there’s…more than I care to count at the moment. Suffice it to say things have changed for the better.

2 Likes

When I started drinking craft around 2004 there weren’t any local breweries at all. Now we have about ten breweries within a 20 mile radius, which is awesome; however, one thing that is a little disappointing is that some really great beers from out of state are getting choked off the shelves by Jersey breweries.

Kind of a double edged sword thing, I love the local breweries doing well, but I miss a lot of the awesome beers from out of state I used to have easy access to.

1 Like

They’ve put out a banana variant. Not even a joke.

1 Like

Both are ugly, tasty I don’t know. But in any case according to their Instagram we have the names wrong in the database.

I didn’t add the beers to the DB, but in part of their recent Facebook post from yesterday includes the note about changing names (emphasis mine):

" Maybe we didn’t learn our lesson. Maybe we are just gluttons for punishment. Or maybe we just don’t give a F***. But it is back this week: Coconut + Ferrero Rocher Gose. Revamped with 2x the Coconuts, 4x the Ferrero Rocher, and a little Banana + Lactose for a true Pina Colada style experience. Plus a new name: Ugly As Sin, Tasty As Hell. "

To be fair, Adroit Theory’s naming conventions are all over the place to begin with so it could change yet again.

Prices, lol.

Yes I saw the new name on their Instagram about the version with the banana and according to their feed it should be “Antithesis: Toasted Coconut + Ferrero Richer Gose” and “Antithesis: Ugly As Sin, Tasty As Hell” for the version with banana added.

But I am not local so maybe that’s how they have their names on their blackboard.

I really got into craft brew by going to BevMo (2006). The number one thing I can say that has changed is the availability of craft beer. It’s every where, even at my local $0.99 store. There was a time I HAD to go to BevMo for something I’ve never had before.

1 Like

How my tastes have changed. My first IPA was an O’Dells - back in 2009. It was fairly fresh and it just blew my mind! I was a “Hop Head” for several years, then became more of a APA guy, and for years now, being of German heritage, I truly love a good german lager, pilsner, etc. A more light beer, but with quality ingredients and subtle tastes, along with still loving a good pale ale. So, for me, it has been the continual evolution of my preferred tastes. PROST!

1 Like

I have some grey pubes now.

2 Likes

Ha! Everything! I’m an old guy who had his first craft beer in 1986 (Catamount Ale from Vermont…now closed). After that, Sam Adams, Harpoon, Sierra Nevada, Long Trail, Smuttynose, Magic Hat, Otter Creek, etc. could do no wrong as far as I was concerned. They did a lot of pale ales, stouts, traditional IPA’s, Brown Ales, and Porters.

In my area in the 1990s, brew pubs cropped up such as Flying Goose, Woodstock Inn, Elm City Brewing, Martha’s Exchange, Gritty McDuff, and Seven Barrels. So I’d go out to eat and buy samples and growlers. Later, some of these breweries started bottling their beer. I went to my first brewfest in 1994 but it was 50-50 craft brewers and national brands like Budweiser.

But as we entered the 2000’s - Sam Adams, Harpoon, etc., were seen as too big because every one wanted to go the the smaller brewers with limited distribution. But also we started getting new beer styles - some were long lost recipes and others were new creations. I never heard of a Witbier, Lambic, or a a Barrel aged beer before about 2000.

And in the 2010’s, cans are all the rage. Craft beer was only in bottles for the longest time. Here in New Hampshire, we have 70+ breweries who brew 2,000 barrels or less annually but they do all these one-off experimental batches and have gotten away from the traditional brews like those listed earlier. And so many craft beer fans automatically hate the pioneers like Sam Adams because they’re way too big.

2 Likes

This is how I feel & what I see of every hobby I thought was cool at one time. Enjoying things for what they are is how I moved on. Many of us paved the groundwork for others to gain opportunities, but having no urge to exploit it keeps me happy.

and you forget ticker tables where no words are exchanged, nose in the laptop or notebook, samples coming to you faster than you can drink them … in the end, what does one really get out of a festival? hours long of notes to type in.

6 Likes

I started getting into beer and brewing in 2002/3 while living in San Diego, but it really kicked in for me around 2009, not coincidentally when I found RateBeer. Moving from the US to Ireland in 2013 was a big shock though. It was like going back a decade or more as far as choice and quality are concerned. At that time there were a handful of craft breweries popping up here but all seemed to be doing the same mediocre 3 beers. The last 2-3 years have seen quality and inventiveness take hold in a big way and although there are only a few breweries making really good beer, it’s been fun seeing the change from the beginning.