Where do you drink/rate

What percentage of the beers(excluding festivals) do you rate from local bar/tap rooms

• None
  • Less than 10 percent
  • About a quarter
  • About half
  • About three quarters
  • More than 90 percent
  • All

0 voters

If you answered three quarters ir above, how msny establishments in your hime locations (regular drinking town ) do you visit on an average month

• 11+

0 voters

1 Like

This one highly depends on country/home town. In Zagreb there aren’t that many venues serving new beers so most of my new beers come from home tastings and travels.

1 Like

yeah that’s part of my curiosity

I’d say about 90% of my rates are done at home. The bars by me have gotten better but I just don’t g oout that often.

2 Likes

Same for me. Not many pubs near me serving a decent range of beers, and only one of my local breweries (Deya) actually produces the kind of beer I want to drink on a regular basis. Plus I just don’t get out much honestly. So easily 90% of my rates are bottles/cans at home.

see this is what i find can be fascinating about these discuss. Im easily 90 in pubs cause ive a great drinking buddy in @Stuu666 and Edinburgh pubs are well served, have on whole great beer availability info and more importantly close together. that i arrive home most nights in time to have tea with the kids. having had a few. that i struggle to actually drink the stuff i buy for the house

1 Like

This is another factor I didn’t mention. None of my real life friends in my area are into beer really. They’ll happily drink pints of Carling or some other shite in pubs then go off clubbing or whatever. That’s fine, they enjoy that, but it’s just not my thing so I have no interest in doing that. Think that’s probably why I’ve become more active on the forums, means I can actually talk beery stuff with other like minded people.
Of course, I could just go solo, but I don’t find that too enjoyable either. Therefore I choose to stay home… saved by our country’s amazing selection of bottleshops.

2 Likes

I rate out in pubs most of the time. My other half drinks single malt, G&Ts, occasional ciders and quality fruit beers. As long as we have one of those things in a beer bar, I’ve got a good drinking buddy.

1 Like

oddly lots of my friends are beer people not all rb but certainly a few. local tasting in an area with enough rb people tends to foster that.

even those not beer people know if they wanna meet me it better have a good beer option

1 Like

Yeah that’s great when that happens. Problem is my whole county is a dead zone for RB people. It’s literally just me and downender on the top raters list. Everyone else on there is no longer active. And downender is from Bristol which is actually a fairly decent beer city, but no one in Gloucestershire considers it part of the county because it’s pretty far away (comparatively speaking) to most of us. But that’s a discussion that’s been had before on RB and doesn’t need to be had again. But yeah I think being one of the traditional cider counties doesn’t help things here. Hopefully with more prolific brewers like Deya in the area things will improve in years to come.

1 Like

I do go to the pub maybe three times a week, but usually of a lunchtime so stick to a couple of halves. There a some pubs found here that do regularly change their beers but it’s 90% bitters and golds. Got a number of meetings in London coming up so will try and fit as many picks into 2-3 hours as possible. Shops found here are better by no craft beer bars around here yet. Somewhere like Guildford could support one.

1 Like

quite fascinating this one, that im the real outlier drinking so much in the bars. where as 2/3 drink mostly at home.

im not sure i ever was a mostly at home. i certainly used to have a more even split. But beer choice in Edinburgh bars is difficult to keep on top of

1 Like

I don’t rate at pubs/bars/breweries much for a couple of reasons:

Cost: Standard mark up at a bottle shop is about 43%. Bar mark up is 230%.

Comfort: I don’t have to get all gussied up to drink a beer at home. I can rate beer completely nude at home. If I do that at the pub, I’m heading for either jail or the booby hatch.

3 Likes

Ahh see Rating in Bars, cost is one of the Reasons.
Just taking Cloud water as an Example would cost me £5 a can
Will generally be £4 or less for a third of a pint

and most bottles coming in about £3.50 will generally be about the £2 for a third.

So for me wanting to try lots its probably dearer per ml to drink in the pubs but cheaper overall.

I do have to wear clothes though.

1 Like

I guess mine is about 50/50. I guess much like LazyPyro there aren’t really any other RB folk around my Oxfordshire neck of the woods even Glen imdownthepub who is in the same county is about 25 miles north of me. Living out in the country (11 miles out of Oxford and about 5 miles out of Bicester) also limits us a little for drinking in bars, however having a camper is godsend as this means that we can and do get out and about quite a lot so we can stay overnight in Oxford or as we often do travel further afield, if it wasn’t for the campervan I think we’d be drinking 90% at home.

2 Likes

In the pre-kids era, living in Amsterdam, it was considerably higher than 10%. Don’t visit bars that often anymore, really don’t know where to get the time or money from.

3 Likes

Interesting that it’s cheaper in bars, We don’t have that luxury I’m afraid :frowning_face: Apart from happy hours, we only have one size, which can be anything from 16 oz to 8 oz, ranging upwards from $7 to $10. Some places have flights, but then you tend to pay more for a smaller cup.

1 Like

Mostly Because im drinking 1/3 in Bars vs having to buy full bottles.
But Even Full pints (568ml)say £6 compares for £3.5 for a 330ml bottle
ok due to the fact that bars may have bigger mark up but the cost of a 30L keg is better per ml than 330ml bottle

But yeah the NYC We decide the size of the pour was definitely odd for me, and your Samplers Were way over priced compared to the small pour in most UK bars.

Really made me appreciate how lucky i am for beer in Edinburgh

1 Like

My drinking habits may have to change. The new City Brewdog location is over the road from the London offices. Flexible working, ahoy.

3 Likes