Where in the UK to find beer from difficult countries

You’ve got a difficult list left there. Congrats for getting 90 countries!

May be obvious, but beer festivals are good for picking up Isle of Mann and Guernsey. Both of these may be represented at the GBBF and I’ve seen them at regional festivals as well.

Barbican Malt, a terrible N/A ‘beer’ is from UAE and can be found at many corner shops selling Middle Eastern goods.

Is it Bun House you mean? I’ve been meaning to go there as well.

It’s also possible to find Iranian N/As in the UK. Someone on these here forums found a couple of them in Birmingham.

1 Like

That’s the one.

Yes. Noticed there was an Iranian shop over the road from the Brum offices, although now moving to an office in the the City centre so better for beer.

White Rock (Guernsey) was supposed to start supplying beer to Waitrose. Has anybody seen it on the shelves?

That bun house looks ace. Will be in London for a brief visit in June so may have to call in.

For Luxembourg, the Stable chain has a couple of Ramborn ciders in. There’s one at 16-18 Whitechapel Rd.

In fact, there’s a couple from White Rock from Guernsey on at the Reading BF next weekend…

1 Like

Cheers everyone, some great tips here to help get my last ten. I haven’t actually been to GBBF for a few years and hadn’t really thought of it for Isle of Man or Guernsey, even though I remember making a point of using it to tick my last few counties one year. I might even have a chance to get to Reading.

A mate actually brought me an NA back from Iran not long ago, which was helpful. And it was a very pleasant surprise when Mozambique turned up in Nando’s a year or so ago!

I remember this being announced but still haven’t seen them in my local, though I rarely shop there to be honest.

If you’re ever in the Midlands, Isle of Man should be a relatively easy tick as Hooded Ram have bars in both Birmingham and Wolverhampton. Not been myself but one would assume they have their own beers on tap in both places.

1 Like

Also looking at recent reviews it appears that Hooded Ram have also been picked up in Oddbins, certainly until the end of last year. However I am not sure what the current situation is regarding Oddbins so unsure what they are currently stocking

It wasn’t in our Waitrose thie morning, but I did get a box of Fullers & Friends and 2 Barcelona Beer Co. beers.

I get the distinct impression that it’s only available in Waitrose stored in the Channel Islands.

The CAMRA Great British Beer Festival always has some Channel Island beers plus a few from Northern Ireland. That is what I shall be hitting first, followed by a good look at the American Bar before seeing if any new Isle of Wight beers are on (then Rutland).

<*))))))><

1 Like

Made it to Bun House. They’ve got about 6 beers from Monsoon, and a couple each from two other Hong Kong breweries i cant remember, few different styles represented such as radler, IPA, witbier & lager. Dogs not allowed so i had to get a takeout. Took advantage of their 2 buns and a beer deal for £8.80, but only included the Radler. If its not already added to RB ill add it later

4 Likes

What and where is Bun House?

It was mentioned above. They apparently import Hong Kong beers exclusively for the restaurant. Its in china town. Authentic chinese steamed buns filled with all sorts, plus stuff like noodles.

Great, sounds interesting, I’ll check it, like the look of the beers from the photo. Cheers

So you can take away beers?

Their website had a list of beers.

Yeah you can. Not sure of prices, I only got the radler which was included in the deal