Which brewers do you avoid, and why?

Lately I started avoiding Evil Twin. His beers are getting even more expensive and the guy is just a dickhead. Might make an exception for the new biscotti variant though.

5 Likes

-Inbev ( I will tick them on festivals, or when offered, but likely not re-drink, even when offered for free. including BCBS, yes. The boycot urge in me is growing stronger with every sickening thing they do to the industry. )

• Brewers I had an argument with ( usually by disrespecting me/other ratebeerians about our ratings not being to their liking. I won’t name names, but we all know some brewers I suppose.

• Expensive beer that hasn’t got good ratings ( accept for when it’s something I collect , such as Belgian ticks, or geuze ticks, but the exceptions are also losing my intrest rapidly these days )

Now I want to know :laughing:

1 Like

I usually stick to local/regional beers - mostly from breweries that I have or could step inside of without having to spend too much effort traveling to (under 3 hours or so from me).

I live in Virginia, right outside Washington DC and Maryland, so my focus is almost exclusively on beers from those 2 states and the district. It’s hard for me to get excited at some random brewery I’ve never heard of that just got distribution in the area and I don’t generally buy into the hype machine.

I don’t generally have any imports either, unless there’s a specific event at a local bar or it’s on a smaller beer menu at a restaurant. There’s nothing more appealing then discovering that virtually every single Belgian/German/other beer covered in dust at almost every single beer store I frequent. I’ll pass on those, thank you very much.

Outside the local beer, I pretty much only have a handful of go-to breweries - Stone (when the price isn’t outrageous) and Sierra Nevada are often repeat breweries. I absolutely do not care who is the producer of the beer. One of my (still) favorite breweries is Devils Backbone, which was purchased by ABInbev a few years ago. It also eliminates the hypocrisy that many beer geeks will get into where they swear off all “Big Beer” but then cave every single time that some subsidiary puts out a special release.