WTF is going on with the site? The Sequel

It’s too late.

In this last week or so (i.e these are new fuckups, introduced by whatever they are trying to improve):

• rating and even viewing of beers has been broken for me.
  • I can’t order lists for breweries and now it seems to log me out for those pages;
  • On the reviews page instead of “friends” (which admittedly I don’t look at often) there is a link to premium membership. Ooh, foreshadowing.

Really, it’s done. You can’t get there from here.

Funny peculiar situation. For weeks I’ve only had one significant problem*: I rate a beer and it will show up on my rated beers page, but not on “latest activity”. @services Haven’t even seen network confused for awhile - and a refresh almost always took care of that. Tho at least once the system was down for maintenance. I’m using chrome on Win10 mostly, but add many beers with iPad and sometimes with iPhone. Things seemed to work better after I quit logging in with Facebook (which was often done in desperation).

There are many things that affect internet - system/browser/internet service/DNS lookup/likely many more. So it may not be entirely fair to blame the site. I don’t think I’m getting individual service, and it works decently for me (tho only lately it’s true - there were aggravations over the last few months).

*There has been another problem: adding breweries - but I worked around it and don’t do that often.

Oops. Minor amendment. When on latest activity page the Friends and Local tabs just refresh latest activity. Global and breweries work. @services vices

@hawthorne00

Often issues only pop up for a single user, or a subset of users - but not all. That’s the case in any website or application. If you have an issue, just stating that “It’s broken” isn’t helpful to an engineer working on any project. If you’d like RateBeer to solve an issue, you need to include information about your own setup, and reproduction steps - so that they can see the problem firsthand and can then fix it.

That being said - there was an earlier response that the viewing of beers bug is being fixed; assuming it’s the same issue you have - I can’t tell, as you haven’t provided any information on what you’re actually seeing.

Same response for your second & third bullet points - I have no idea what you’re referencing.

This is a common issue with any application and a user-base. I understand that there are problems, and I don’t want to come off dismissive - as I’m sure you have valid points, but I have no idea what your points are as not enough information has been provided.

@bhensonb

To be verbose, can you please provide a step-by-step reproduction and include links to pages, rather than titles?

As a means of addressing feedback; we’ve created a new forum category, RateBeer Feedback, in which to place bug reports, feature requests, and the like!

After discussing this with members of the team - we’ll be reviewing this category routinely and addressing the various topics.

Many of you have brought up valid points in this, and the other thread, and I encourage you to create a new topic for each individual item you’d like to discuss. Please do provide as much information as you can, especially in a bug report, as we do want to hear from you!

Thank you all for your input thus far - we look forward to addressing any issues you’ve come across and being more transparent.

I don’t see a problem to let the thread opened, but like it was said, a topic with an endless list of problems all listed in the same place with multiple replies all mixed up for all those problems will probably result in many of those problems not being addressed.
If a problem is listed separately, it is easier to follow the posts about that problem, to see if there’s been some things done about it and when it’s corrected, that the topic can be closed.

@tjbiddle

I strongly suggest that you make separate forums for Website Bugs, App Bugs and Feedback / Enhancement Requests.

1 Like

@tjbiddle

Well, maybe work with assessing priority levels when it comes to fixes with admins for one and be less dismissive of what they consider to be priorities. Admins, being both users AND staff, usually the biggest power users to boot, generally have the most acute knowledge of what irks the users most, and what can be left to simmer for some time.

Ask for internal feedback before you do major changes from us and LISTEN to what the issues are before releasing those pages to the general public. Don’t rush major releases. Especially ask for feedback when it comes to design, because, in all honesty, you fucked up with the beer page update, majorly so, by releasing a page that’s worse and less usable in many ways than the old one - obviously, a good looking page with potential, but with huge design flaws that demonstrate change for the sake of change (for worse) and no real grasp on what’s important. Don’t be dismissive if someone’s “wonderful design idea” is blasted thoroughly - because it’s usually with a damn good reason and in good faith, without underlying hostility towards you, not “because we are resisting change for the better and need getting used to the new brilliant idea” <- literally the worst thing that could’ve been said and, worse yet, believed. Things were forced on everyone in spite of our pleas not to do it before it’s ready and a major string of bugs and design mistakes were inflicted on the public. That was better, but in similar vain to the atrocious 1.0.0. app release - which one would consider to be a lesson. That’s not the way to go. People would hold out without any problems with the old design until the new one was actually ready. This only resulted in rage and disappointment which rides and builds on the wave which started a year and a half ago with controversy regarding the buyout.

This “you” is plural, of course.

Communication is a problem on more than the devs > users level.

10 Likes

@Viper666.Qc Great suggestion - done, thanks!

@marko I agree with that; let’s see what we can do with this system in place and iterate from there. With regards to design decisions, @hamptonjesse777 can speak more on that! Jesse is regularly working on doing user research and will gladly take in feedback.

1 Like

You can remove “Ratebeer” in the 4 sub-categories to keep them short, they all already in Ratebeer Feedback
@tjbiddle

1 Like

Well, I’m sure that Jesse saw these threads and that he saw all the threads on the Admin boards. That’s far more relevant / concentrated feedback that reviewing what the automatic polls & what random people have said & such.

Most terrible “we got feedback that all says this and this on that so we…” decisions were done to cater to the leechers at the expense of (and outrage of) seeders, literally cutting the branch the site stands on. So… let’s call that a part of the learning curve and avoid looking in the wrong places. :smiley: