Please Post Request/Bugs in separate threads in the Feedback Forum

Yup. On top of that, me having to add 20 beers a week is a bit of a chore. Another fun exercise is to look at the number of ratings of yearly releases theough the years… each year after a certain point they have gone down, down and down. Maybe there are new uaers but they are not contributing very much.

There’s basically only 1 thing to fix on this forum site and it’s been weeks since the problem has been noted in various posts. Uncover the dang reply button!

1 Like

I uploaded a few pics for places in Casper because there was an option to do that. I checked now. No pics and the option to uploaded appears to have disappeared.

Getting a bit frustrated with the site now…

New members (and not necessarily active users) for last month over the planet… Those aren’t impressive numbers…

United States 335
England 88
Canada 54
Poland 53

France 33
Australia 31
Germany 29
Spain 22
Russia 21
Denmark 19
Brazil 18
Belgium 18
Sweden 18
Greece 15
Italy 14

Just in my area (Quebec, Canada) we are like 10-15 active users and I would say I’m the one who add almost 75% of the new beers lately…

3 Likes

As long as they won’t remove minimum characters for ratings and make ticks qualified ratings it’s impossible to even think they could maintain a good growth in today’s world, this combined with the live beta testing for the website makeover.

Ratebeer has had zero character ticks for years. No one cares about “fully qualified,” they care because Untappd has a clean UI and great app with a ton of features and Ratebeer is a total dinosaur that has failed so many times in a row you begin to doubt your own sanity.

2 Likes

@puzzl My point is people like to be able to rate a beer quickly, and like you said, having a clean UI is helping a lot. But having non qualified ratings just limit the visibility of the product. I got over 3000 non qualified ratings and I don’t care at all for my personal stats (except to remember which product I like the most) but those 3000+ non-qualified ratings serve nothing to promote the products I tasted…

RATEBEER have the privilege of a very good control over the product to prevent duplicates, fake entries, etc… (thx to the work of many admins) which Untappd don’t have and don’t care but they must open up to the grand public to survive.

1 Like

But I still feel that it’s not a good thing if a tick, without being “forced” to think about what you’re actually drinking, will count towards the average score of a beer. You either need two seperate averages or what you proposed earlier, “the full tick” (with attributes), must be implemented. Even though I’d be sad to see the real rating / review go, I agree that we need to open up to a bigger public.

If only 2 or 3 of those people per country were active, that would be great, but I highly doubt even that is the case. If you look at the trades forum here almost all the people have zero or something close to that ratings. I do not think RB needs to hit UT numbers, but I would like it if Other Half or KCBC beers got consistently more than 10 ratings so they could have a percentile rating…

1 Like

That is a good point. How could the “good numbers” be converted to actual value for the community? We’ve heard before that this community here is just a small part of all RB users (often as a dismissive statement), but I see very little about what is being done to make the experience more social and get people more involved. I can’t even see what the people I follow are doing with the new app. What a solitary experience.

3 Likes

There is a lot of problems but the lack of social interaction on rates and friends activity is one of the biggest issues of RB (imo).

2 Likes

Same here. I was the only active rater in Castilla y Leon (2.5 M people), and now in the Buffalo-Niagara Falls metropolitan area, 1.2 M people & 2nd largest metropolitan area in NY state. I add/added 95%+ of the beers coming from these areas the last few years.

This, and the lack of incentive to contribute to the site and its database. I believe meaningful contributions made by users should be acknowledged and encouraged, i.e. visible for everyone (e.g. stats about number of beers /places / breweries / events / corrections / further info / bar codes added). This is one area where Ratebeer can still beat Untappd. And while you’re at it, please shamelessly copy and incorporate a version of their badge reward system.

2 Likes

Joe, I don’t think people are worried about the amount of users or their engagement levels (you tell us all the time and I have little reason to believe that you would lie about something so unimportant to the average user here): I think people are worried about the fact that instead of fixing long-standing bugs (non-Latin letters/characters, for instance) or feature requests (more regions, anyone?), the focus was on re-designing pages that people weren’t really clamouring to get a re-design.

5 Likes

It’s pleasing that there’s a list and that user numbers are thought to be going well.

How do you think the functionality of the site is going @joet? And how do you think the app is going?

I agree with all your post and just have some emphasis to add to this point…

I just counted and I’ve added 82 beers in the past 30 days, almost 3 per day. Although I visit the site every day I wouldn’t consider myself a power user at all based on amount of ratings I have and having only been a member for 3 years.

So are the power users slowing down and/or left the site? Or are we simply being overwhelmed by sheer number of new releases?

I think this is yet another thing that’s adding to the perception that RB is losing users.
I haven’t changed the frequency of how often I visit and use RB over the past couple of years yet there seems to be an awful lot more to do now for normal users. I bet I didn’t even need to add 82 beers in total last year, let alone one month. I’m curious how many the power users add and if that’s increased of decreased on previous years.

What about HTML in ratings? Will it be re-enabled? I’ve always ended my ratings with some info in italics about serving size, date since bottling, and where I bought the beer.

2 Likes

So where have all the people gone to is the real question? In the past I’m pretty sure I didn’t see many beers with under 10 ratings. Especially not the highly sought after. Unless of course RB users can’t get their hands on those beers anymore, because all the uncrapped peasants have bought it all!

1 Like

As long as there is an option to shut it off. Horrible. Hated those beermails about useless awards.

3 Likes

There’s also just a lot more beers though. The rates per beer is definitely down but I think the rising number of beers is a big part of that. There are maybe 5 or 6 active raters in NZ and it’s rare all of us rate the same beer just because there is so much choice on the shelves. There’s only a certain amount of beer one person can drink.

I guess the useful stat would be total number of ratings and whether that’s going up or down.

3 Likes

My uploaded pic shows up here in the search.
But not on the place’s page. Why is that?