Please Post Request/Bugs in separate threads in the Feedback Forum

Hei! Finn ut hva jeg kan gjøre, si @discobot vis hjelp.

Benzai, Well said, two biggest points to me, as you say, the date of ratings thing and the user’s city/country information. Perhaps also the frustration of clicking on most reviews to see the complete review, time consuming and annoying. My biggest fear is that these items will not be addressed, been out of town two weeks and these have not changed.

1 Like

I used to be able to add pictures to the site fairly easily, but under the new interface I get an email pop-up, which doesn’t make any sense. Unable to upload pictures now.

After rating beer, choose edit. Use the old upload procedure (upper left). Remember the picture does not show on the rating page. The white goblet - click on that and the picture pops up.

For illustration click on the white goblet here:

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/bj39s-huntington-bea/616088/1966/

That one showed up nearly immediately

Extra clicking is required, but we get a pretty big picture - I use pictures from iPhone - choosing medium size pics.

Will also comment on the new beer page/search. I find that no matter what device I’m using (Work/home PC, phone) or which browser I use (IE/Firefox/Chrome) both the new beer page and search function are incredibly slow. I still don’t know why brewers and places are on a separate tab in the search, just doubles my loading times. Currently attempting to find out if @cgarvieuk has rated the same beers as me so I: click on a beer, it takes a while to load, click on “my friends”, it takes a while to load, scroll down, find out the whole friend list isn’t there, click on “show all”, it takes a while to load, then I scroll down again. ~10 times as slow as it used to be.

3 Likes

I’m having a very different experience - NOW. A month or so ago I might have written what you did. Now with PC, iPhone and iPad things seem to be going even more quickly than I remember from the past. One thing: iPhone f…ks up when wifi is on, but there is no wifi - things take forever cause the search for wifi seems to never end - til I remember to turn off the damn wifi - then cellular data usually picks page quickly - assuming decent service.

1 Like

So I want to see who rated a beer the lowest. Sorted it “Highest Ratings” - but you can’t go to a last page as there are no pages - just the next ratings get loaded. That beers has more than 1k ratings. SHall I load the next ratings for a month to go to the last entry? Meh…

8 Likes

@services Adding sort by lowest score would be cool

2 Likes

I don’t if this has been mentioned already, as I can’t keep up with all the (ever changing) mess. But the most recent ratings on a beer page doesn’t (always?) show the most recent ratings anymore. I click on a beer rating from someone on my friends list and the top ‘most recent’ rating is ‘24 days ago’. I click the ‘my friends’ tab and it shows the new rating with ‘1 hour ago’.

Come on, this is basic functionality!

6 Likes

@joet explained somewhere that this isn’t a bug, but a feature. It sorts ratings from people with similar language (or in proximity? I don’t know anymore) first. Seems like it’s on the list for changes though - since…well, a few weeks now.

I really can’t get over the (seemingly) long loading times with every click I need to make on the new beer page.

3 Likes

How can this be a feature?? If I’m sorting «Most recent» I just want the most recent ratings first…I dont care about language.
It’s a basic user functionality as @MonsterMagnet said.

2 Likes

The site basically assumes that you want ratings from users who speak your language first. It’s faux-smartness that actually takes a way free choice from its users. The next step after translating the site and not giving each and everyone an option to choose which language we want the site to be in, but presenting us with a complicated workaround in the browser settings, basically setting our language preferences for ALL THE SITES WE VISIT. It’s smart design, stupid.
Or the other way around. Who can tell, nowadays.

2 Likes

I can definitely see why this would be an annoyance if you (for example) use the site in English, but it’s decided to put reviews in Korean first because you live in Korea. However, as someone who doesn’t speak Korean, it is a useful feature for me to have the English reviews sorted out first rather than scrolling through finding ones I can understand. I can certainly see why a US based (I’m assuming the US is like the UK / NZ where people just speak one language) development team might think that would be a useful feature. I think the mistake is forgetting that many people are bilingual (or more). Obviously the correct solution is to offer the user their own choice of language preferences, but the argument that this is a senseless change with no possibility of being a useful feature seems a bit harsh.

2 Likes

@explosivedog

“I think the mistake is forgetting that many people are bilingual (or more). Obviously the correct solution is to offer the user their own choice of language preferences, but the argument that this is a senseless change with no possibility of being a useful feature seems a bit harsh.”

It isn’t. These sort of changes are apparently meant to be smarter than me. No doubt at some point every chip in the word will be smarter than me, but for now I’d like to decide for my own. It is useless. If I want the latest, most recent ratings and I select that, then that’s what I should get. I don’t want a “did you mean this instead?” NO I didn’t. I meant what I asked for you stupid computerchip! Stop harassing me and just give me what I want.

5 Likes

So you don’t agree that some people might like to be able to see reviews they can understand? As I said, of course the solution should be that you get to choose, but that’s obviously a much more complicated thing to do. People are acting like there’s absolutely no reason for this when there is a clear reason. I like the idea of the site prioritising reviews I can understand, and, when it is correctly made into an optional thing, that is a box I will check.

2 Likes

I think that more of the 80% of the reviews in this site are in English. But even if you rate a polish beer (more than 60% ratings in Polish) I prefer the newest reviews first and I can’t understand a single polish word. The reason for me its simple, we have numbers and score and I think that a rating from one week ago will be more useful than a rating from two years ago, even if the first one is in polish and the second one in spanish/english.
And for other simple reason, i’m sorting «newest first» not «spanish first»!!!

1 Like

I was typing up a message about how wrong the new beer page is, both the ideas and implementation, but you know what? I don’t think I’ll bother anymore as I only get more and more negative energy from it. Apparently the big boss, in all his wisdom, decided to steer it in another direction and is creating yet another useless information bubble site. Because we are apparently too stupid to interpret and compile information ourselves.

Sad.

1 Like

Sure, that’s fine but as you said yourself already: make that an option then, don’t say one thing (select most recent) and do the other (show ratings in my language).

1 Like

That’s a major problem with the devs, they make changes, with the best of intentions I’d bet, but make the error of not providing flexibility, just rigid change, along with “OMG this is so much more advanced / such a cool idea” being the driving force far more than “what users want/need”.

I’ve been repeating myself since the start - provide new options, sure, but ALWAYS provide flexibility, sure, make those new options optional. But we get slapped with the “OMG SO SHINY AND NEW AND 2018”, with what should be the base options disabled or removed and vague promises of them returning along the line (after enough badgering) sprinkled with “yeah, we have these other major priorities ya know”.

What they don’t seem to get is that no, people are NOT just complaining “just because it’s a change”, they are complaining because you never bothered checking what they want and need before you made a major change, using the live site as a sandbox for ideas and “modern tech”.

Half of these things would be considered cool / okay if they were implemented properly - rolled out when the rest was ready, and wouldn’t get flak, but since they are there without an alternative in sight, and that seems to be the way to go, flak will seemingly be had.

10 Likes

It’s not a bad idea, be the implementation is horrible and patronizing. If there’s a tab for reviews in german, okay. But to assume I want the german ratings first when I actually asked for the most recent is just not at all what the site should be doing.

So, yeah, I think you’re arguing for a completely different animal.

3 Likes