Please Post Request/Bugs in separate threads in the Feedback Forum

This happened to me a week or so ago.

Messaged a few other guys from the London crew and they were fine.

Now I’m ok again.

Ran Dumb!

It’s awkward but you can do this: with the rating expanded, highlight the desired text, then without letting go of the mouse button press Ctrl c.

Sadly impossible on iPad. I use copy/paste a lot for beers on the same trip. RIP RB, once again. Did the stakeholder overlords command this non-ctrl c policy?

Not working for me. At exactly 15k but unable to compile my ratings, keep getting…

“The page cannot be displayed because an internal server error has occurred” :frowning:

Sorry, that’s a different issue. My response was to a post about how annoying it was to compile ratings and then find out that it starts with newest ratings. So you don’t get 1-1000 and then 1001-2000 but you get -for instance- 15553-14554 which is incredibly annoying. So in that case the compiling at a round thousand works. Unfortunately I don’t know a solution for the problem you are experiencing.

Delete your ticks. Or, if you’ve ever downloaded your ratings before, and don’t re-rate, only download your most recent ratings. Then you’d only need to delete the ticks you made during the period of the ratings you want to download.

Since everything that has been begged (by long-time users) to be fixed has been ignored this far, I will repeat it again. For the nth time, please fix the following problems ASAP:

1. The date of my review. “… months ago” is not an acceptable date format. We are here for stats and we want precision. Just revert it back to how it used to be.

2. The brewer’s country. How did you even come to the conclusion that it’s not crucial information? I really want to know if the lager I’m rating comes from Germany or Austria. There’s no way to tell from just the name alone.

3. Sorting reviews by “highest score” means I need to endlessly scroll to get to the lowest rated reviews. Previously I could just jump to the last page of “highest rated” reviews. Trust me, the low ratings are often the most informative (and fun!) reviews. Nobody cares about the 4.9-5.0 OMG reviews. I want to read critical reviews that bring out the weak points.

4. Having to click on an “>” arrow to read more than three lines of a review. Seriously, are we now some kind of click count based website? Stop it.

21 Likes

Im going to say i agree with EVERY SINGLE ONE of these.

But would add that for the whorated/Friends Rating list. I just want Scores and then click through. That for me at least is just seeing whos Had. Or if its easier add a function where i save X names and every search shows my just the listed User names. So i see if the people at tasting ect have had that beer

5 Likes

I don’t think they are interested in anything we want. I’ve kept quiet for a while in hope of a change, but nothing.

6 Likes

It may be time for a final Toy Story before I leave forever. Keep your eyes peeled for the next couple of weeks.

5 Likes

Cheers for the heads up on this, will take a look at my “ticks” see if that is causing the issue.

These buttons on the main page are broken. They just take you to the top of the page (https://www.ratebeer.com/#)

1 Like

So I was just trying to view a cached beer page via Google to check I wasn’t going crazy as I’ve found myself submitting the same correction for a typo in a beer for what I think is third time in as many weeks, not sure if an admin reverted or what’s up with it but anyway that’s not the problem…

Due to the way the new beer pages are loaded - an empty template with no content whatsoever, which is later dynamically loaded in - pages in Google’s cache (and probably archive.org) are now completely broken.

See for example: https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:tgsT4aevKpoJ:https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/brewdog-punk-ipa-6/72423/

Please revert back to the traditional way of loading pages. I know you’re probably doing it like this to protect against web scrapers but the problem is it’s much slower to load and breaks accessibility in other ways (such as web caching services I just mentioned).

The old pages looked fine when viewing a cached copy, for example: https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:ZHjFXs--ME0J:https://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/Beer/Beer-Ratings.asp%3FBeerID%3D135361 loads just fine.

@joet

3 Likes

Dunno what power users and developers who really know their stuff are saying, but I’d lean out the window to say that this can’t be good for any website.

And geez, loading beer pages feels like it’s taking FOREVER.

I have added two places in the last week and on the map they have been in the Atlantic Ocean. What is going on there?

When you provide the problem, give us enough data so we can see the fun. Like what places?

Yeah post the place links here so we can check them out? In my experience as a user from what I’ve seen it’s mostly due to copy and pasting addresses in the wrong format, or a rogue comma somewhere, something which could easily be stripped out as I think it’s a fairly common issue.

Does this happen with all new places added or because the address was not recognised?

With a lot of new places, that’s true. :confused: If you run into it, just dump the link in the places thread and we’ll fix it.

Just read through the last 200 messages in this thread. I’ve ignored it for the last month or so as it seemed to be the same functionality complaints again and again. As the thread was still going with over 500 replies I guessed some improvements were being made. But literally the last 50 messages consisted of a myriad of issues concerning the usability of the site. And Joe is nowhere to be seen.

In recent months I have gotten used to working around the problems with the site. Knowing that clicking on a beer would bizarrely sign me out, so I’d have to click on the brewery, scroll down the beer list and click on the box to the right in order to rate it. It’s irritating but I’ve come to the conclusion now that it won’t change.

Reading these last 200 posts has given me little confidence that improvements will be made. That said I still think to remain relevant going forward, the ability to add photos to check-ins and place ratings is important. If for some reason AB-Inbev does believe in RateBeer and earnestly want it to continue, that would be a good feature.

I’ll check back in a 100 or so comments providing the site’s still going and see what’s new.

5 Likes