Your most influential Beer

What beer has had the most influence on you?

For me its Harbours Aji Limon IPA
https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/harbour-aji-limon-ipa/198788/

I created a desire to try the Aji Limon Chilli spawning 4-5 year of growing chillies, and further into other food growing

and taking over the wondows in the house

3 Likes

I have a few ways to answer this. The first beer I had that wasn’t a pale lager and opened my eyes to the possibilities of different beer styles was Newcastle. The first craft beer I had was Two Hearted Ale. My no turning back beer was Founders Dirty Bastard.

2 Likes

La Chouffe, as it made me realize how tasty good beer could be, and how high drinkability and high ABV aren’t polar opposites.

Sierra Navada Pale Ale, as it was one of the first Pale Ales I had. I disliked my first bottle, and I was convinced by the second.

Bevog Kramah, as it made me realize how many possibilities there are with hops.

Brooklyn Lager, as it made me realize that not everything needs to be imported and that not everything holds up well while travelling.

8 Likes

love the 4th answer

2 Likes

Saison Dupont and Dogfish Head 60 Minute come to mind.

1 Like

Struise Pannepot

This was the first beer that made me question everything I thought I knew about beer.

3 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. I reckon I drank reasonably good beer when I still lived in Vancouver, but it wasn’t until I moved to Amsterdam and started having La Chouffe on the regular until I really unlocked my curiosity. Maybe I should have a Chouffe tonight…

2 Likes

Worthington’s White Shield - it was a Michael Jackson club selection (tho I got it when the club dumped excess) - and finding Michael Jackson and his books got my head somewhat straightened out on beer.

2 Likes

My first imported, therefore non-pilsner beer was Newcastle, which opened my eyes to possibilities. My first exposure to the wide world of craft beer was through the beers of Carolina Brewery @ Chapel Hill, NC though. I was there for a summer course, and my world just exploded!

3 Likes

Franziskaner Hefeweissbier way back when in late 2003 or early 2004… The first beer I actually liked. And absolutely hated lukewarm at first sip. And realized that not all beer should be treated and drunk the same, and how huge a difference all the serving aspects played.

4 Likes

Funny, i was just mulling over whether to start growing chillies the other day.

For me, tasting my first Duvel in Gent changed my perception of what beer can be. Until then i assumed it was either lager or watery brown cask ale. Id also say draft Paulaner weissbier in Berlin, and t’ij witbier in Amsterdam (around 2004-2005) were equally important. Camden Helles lager fresh at the brewery around 2011 made me rediscover a love for lager too.

3 Likes

interesting that it was a UK beer

1 Like

Go Aji limon. theyre a big messy plant. But i think theyre very distinctive. I made a pure Aji sauce that just totally rocks my world.

But i love being able to grow a wide variety. Apache is a very easy one, and Aji amarillo grew into a small bloody tree .

2 Likes

I shall do some research! Thanks for the suggestions

2 Likes

You just jogged my memory thanks! (but in the opposite direction)
This is the beer that made me realize that I cannot stand wheat beer.
Bought a 6 pack to try back in the '90s. Gave 4 away and avoid wheat beers to this day.

3 Likes

Brewdog Zeitgeist was my first eye-opening beer. It was not very influential, though, because I’ve only had it a second time in my life.

The most influential one certainly was Aventinus.

1 Like

Saranac Pale Ale as a young lad in Upstate NY.

3 Likes

Duvel/Chimay: whichever I tried first when I was backpacking in Europe after high school, and also Rodenbach; drinking this out of a can when I was in Belgium was a very strange experience and showed me a different side of beer. Basically had these three beers about a year and a few months before I started beer.

3 Likes

Weihenstephan hefeweissbier of course.

4 Likes

About six or seven years ago, as a non beer drinker, I tried a bottle of Punk IPA and was blown away. Up until that point I had only tried (and disliked) cheap Lagers. Punk IPA was so different to what I thought of as ‘beer’ that I genuinely thought fruit had been added. I didn’t even know what a hop was back then! For me, Punk IPA is undoubtedly my most influential beer as it started my curiousity in trying new breweries, new beer styles and generally being more thoughtful about what I drank. I’m just sad that the Punk IPA I tried back then had been diluted to the Punk IPA of today.

1 Like