Your stand-out beer of 2017

yeah i never thought the uk was bad. and in my lifetime theres always been good beer. but the choice and quality definitely taking an upswing in recent years.

but its the increase in styles available thats really improved my beer life

1 Like

im a bit hit or miss with wylam had amazing and so so. but cant wait fir general release of their Hawkshead colab. it could seriously be a contender for the year

1 Like

Emelisse IRS Wild Turkey BA. Got this from a trade with bierkoning and it was the first time that I tried it. Was already several years old and it might have benefitted from aging, but I never gave a higher rating to a beer. 2nd was Thornbridge Hall Bracia.

2 Likes

bracia is such a complex beer. i can never make my mind up about it. there just so much to it

1 Like

It’s still my favourite beer ever. It’s a pity Thornbridges beers over the past few years have been a little underwhelming compared to beers like this from their past.

3 Likes

Three Notch’d Biggie S’mores-Bourbon

Which is surprising because I don’t like barrel aging. Maybe I’m coming around?

2 Likes

Toppling Goliath Scorpius Morchella
Corridor&Provisions Cosmic Juicebox

pretty much NE IPAs…

2 Likes

Bracia was one of my first wow beers back in 2014, and I still have a bottle from then in the cellar.

Should probably pop it soon.

3 Likes

Struise Cuvée Delphine
Hoppin’ Frog Rocky Mountain BORIS
Põhjala Bänger
:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Cantillon Lou Pepe Kriek
Boon VAT 109
Struise Cuvee Delphine
Cantillon Fou Foune (fresh non-fermented)
Jopen Many-Faced Got (Red Wine BA)

Boon VAT 109 was the biggest surprise. I’m not a huge fan of Boon, but 109 is amazing beer.

4 Likes

That was one kick-ass “Gotlandsdricka”. So complex and tasty!

1 Like

I’ve had two:

Põhjala Kolmekordne. I was crazy about this although I realise that not everyone shared my enthusiasm.

Hawkshead Mosaic Pale Ale. An odd choice but my god this was the perfect hoppy golden. And at the Beer Hall in Staveley so in super-perfect condition. Restores my faith that some of the more unassuming styles can still have the best beers.

2 Likes

I think Hawkshead are one of the UKs most under rated breweries
Saying that that perticular one didnt hit any spots for me

2 Likes

Yes, was really surprised by that beer. The hammy smoke profile reminded Schlenkerla, which is always a good thing.

2 Likes

Orval. Had a crate of relatively fresh Orvals, and they were very good.

Alesmith Bourbon Speedway
Morebeer Roos = B(l)ack Millstone BA. Lime and coconut + Dutch whisky. Wow…
Maltstrom IXPL Des Prairies. Best Imperial Pale Lager I’ve had by a mile.
Voodoo Imperial Breakfast Stout Woodford Reserve
Emelisse White Label Imperial Doppelbock (Bruichladdich BA)
Pirata Lab No5 NEIPA

3 Likes

Lots of good hazy brews this year, but Alesmith Boxcar Speedway is THE beer with less than 8 weeks to go.

3 Likes

This is certainly one of the best troinois I’ve had :smiley:

1 Like

One of my favourites!!

I’m drinking this right now, finally, and I fully agree. Absolutely blown away by how tasty this is. First off, it looks amazing in the glass, opaque murky pour with a long lasting head. Getting loads of citrus and pineapple from it, and the taste is sublime. It becomes the third beer I’ve ever given a perfect 5 to, I cannot see any way this beer can be improved, I loved every aspect of it, so how can I score it any less? I gave Cloudwater’s DIPA v13 a perfect 5 too but you have no idea how much I wish I could taste these side by side. I suspect I could knock a point or two off either one then, but as this is not possible I’m going to remember them as being equally outstanding.

It’s #21 in the Top 50 Imperial IPA style now. I can see it rising even higher.

1 Like

I’ve got a can of this waiting for me at my parents. Added it to my Christmas order on a whim because the can looked funny. Didn’t realise I was getting something this good!