2018 Beer Goals + 2017 Year-in-Review

Thought I did some 2017 resolutions, but guess I skipped last year. Here’s some I just cooked up:

1. 3 more states at 100+ ratings
  2. 5 more states at 50+ ratings
  3. Have no more than 450 beers with ratings greater than or equal to 1,000 that I haven’t tried
  4. Have my 2nd most rated beer style be at least half of my 1st (currently 4 beers shy)
  5. H-index by style of 26
  6. Qualify for the erstwhile Ultimate New Englander award.
  7. Visit the 3 (!) new breweries scheduled to open up in my town and neighboring town in 2018

I feel like #1 and #7 should be easy, and despite seeming easy, the rest will be toss-ups.

2 Likes

2017 Goals:

1. 10 of each style. May have to visit Belgium, unless Mikkeller releases 2 more Faros. Also may need to trade some kristall weizens and polotmavys.
    Did the trip to Belgium, but still didn’t get to 10 of each style - still missing 4 polotmavys. Didn’t set it out as a goal, but will probably hit 1 of each non beery style this year thanks to @jinroh.

2. Keep ticking every brewery/cidery in Estonia (excluding the homebrews that have been entered to DB and not deleted)
    Ongoing struggle

3. 100 quad ratings. Should be easy to do, only bit more than 10 to go.
    Was easy to do, now have ~130 quad ratings.

4. Tick more countries/counties.
    Good progress in this one, RBESG helped a lot.

5. Tick less, but drink more interesting stuff.
    I rated a lot more, so this was complete failure…

2018 Goals:

1. Travl more, meet more ratebeerians.
  2. Finish the 10 of each style (travl to Prague?)
  3. Get 10 more styles over 20 rates
  4. Rate a beer from every US state
  5. Establish all this by doing less rates
2 Likes

First time resolver:

1. Get to 100 state rates for Washington, New Hampshire, Missouri. Reach goals would include DC, Texas, and Delaware.

2. Get five more countries (don’t know how I will do this). Cayman Islands only one I know I will visit.

3. Visit each NYC brewery that I have not yet (missing Bronx, Kills Boro, Fifth Hammer, Circa, Randolph’s, and maybe a few others).

4. Drink more than 24 new beers per beer festival… seems like a missed opportunity.

5. Get past 100 for Sweden… don’t think any others are likely this year unless I get a Russian haul.

2 Likes

Randolph’s? Brewery?

1 Like

Yes sir

1 Like

Hmm, I must have missed it, thanks! By the way I just had a long lunch at
Circa, after learning about its existence here, yesterday and I liked the
place :beer:

1 Like

Man, just go to two festivals in Europe and you’ll knock all of these out of the park. Most European festivals these days seem to have at least a couple of Swedish breweries present (and the same goes for Spain, for that matter), and Bakunin is often flying the Russian flag at a lot of the bigger festivals. And all you need to do for the first one is find the tables with RB folks kicking around: the Belgian and Dutch RB groups both brought some far-off country ticks to Borefts this past year, which was a nice, unexpected win for the day :slight_smile:

1 Like

the Uganda tick came from Germany, though :stuck_out_tongue:

And not sure about where Malawi came from…

and @mansquito, I can send you Liechtenstein if worst comes to worst :wink:

1 Like

2018 OBJECTIVES:

1. Reach 200 total ratings for 6 countries (Spain, USA, Denmark, Netherlands, Germany and England). Actually the count is 196 for Spain, 158 for DK, 157 for USA, 155 for NL, 142 for GER and 103 for ENG. I can do Spain whenever I want, DK and USA should be doable at MBCC 18 (May), Netherlands might be doable with a couple of trades with the dutch crew, Germany might be doable also with a couple of trades and my cellar, England will be difficult but a travel to Machester Beer Festival in January must provide me with ±70 english ticks.

2. Reach 50 Portuguese Breweries and 100 portuguese beers Let´s see…but it will be difficult reach 50 breweries. Currently at 33 breweries and 68 beers.

3. Going to more beer venues and festivals Maybe going to RBESG…

4. Rate Gibraltar and Isle of ManOr any other Tax heaven :grin::grin:

5. Don´t drink Mikkeller beer :grin::grin: It will be very difficult…going to MBCC and other festivals and don´t drink Mikkeller…

3 Likes

“Hit 10k & slow down a bit - given my current tempo, hitting just 10k & not + will mean a slow down.”

I am currently at 11422 – so I managed 10k but the slowing down thing really failed.

2018:

Hit 13.500 / Travl to 4 new European countries (I did 4 new ones this year)

2 Likes

So far have only been to one European featival (MBCC 2017), and I am probably not going to Europe this year, to the best of my knowledge. Only hitting US festivals. Probably just going to ask anyone coming back from a new country to get me a beer as per usual.

1 Like

Next resolution: hit you up for Liechtenstein beer if necessary… hehe

African rates come from strange places. You can totally get Ethiopia and Eritrea is Washington DC. Also got Ghana there.

1 Like

2018 goals -

1. Plan trips to visit more breweries on the east side of my great home state of Washington.
  2. Meet more RBians.
  3. Do better at adding the great local beer events we have in WA to the site.
  4. Finally find an Alabama and Arkansas beer to rate.
2 Likes

My goals for 2017:
14000 ratings. DONE! 14175.
800 place ratings. DONE! 833.
2600 Virginia ratings. DONE! 2657.
1000 Wisconsin ratings. FAILED. Only 822.
Visit all breweries in Milwaukee County. FAILED. One left. The Milwaukee Brewing Location in Walker’s Point.
200 or fewer unverified Virginia beers (currently 1312). DONE! Although hershiser2 did most of the work. Currently 142.
50 or fewer unverified Wisconsin beers (currently 404). Failed. Currently 654. I’m a bad admin.
25000 admin actions (currently 19,992). Failed. Currently 20,405. At least I went up and broke 20k, but still, bad admin.
Rate a place in a new state (probably will be Iowa, other candidates are AL, AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, FL, HI, ID, KS, LA, MS, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, SD, TX, UT, WA, WY). Ticked IOWA!!!

2018 Goals:
15000 ratings.
850 place ratings.
1000 Wisconsin ratings.
2700 Virginia ratings.
97 Countries (currently 94).
5 from every style (need 1 sahti, 2 polotmavy, 2 faro).
Rate a place in a new state. Candidates are AL, AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, FL, HI, ID, KS, LA, MS, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, SD, TX, UT, WA, WY

3 Likes
2 Likes

~2017 Goals~

1) 1000 ratings of California beers
I guess I’ll have to wait for the 2017 stats to be officially released, but with 1334 beers rated so far this year, I can almost guarantee I made this.

2) Finish visiting all San Diego County breweries
Not even close. We had 31 new breweries open in the county in 2017. Just impossible to even try to keep up. I gave up a long time ago.

3) 15 homebrew batches
Yikes. I dropped a big fat goose egg on this one.

4) 95% of beer consumption within 25 miles of the brewing location
I’d say by volume, I probably came close to hitting this. Obviously impossible to actually calculate, but the vast vast majority of the beer I drink is locally made.

2 Likes

2018 Goals

1. 1000 more ratings of California beers.
  2. Rate some damn places. Get to 300 total (currently at 212).
  3. Visit Tijuana and rate some beers.
  4. Five homebrew batches.
  5. Buy zero bombers/750s.
  6. Don’t pay over $1/ounce for any beer.
  7. Stay on top of my very local places and make sure all new beers get added/rated.
  8. Enter the top 100 raters (currently at 108).
  9. Rate something over 4.5 (highest this year was 4.3).
  10. 5 new State/Place ratings (currently at 26).
3 Likes

2017:

As a newbie mine are a bit boring:

1,000 beer ratings DONE

Rate all UK counties. Although only 7 left and could go to a local supermarket and buy 5 tonight. Rutland will be the challenge. DONE (THANKS TO GBBF)

Rate all 20 breweries in Surrey. Although Harvest are currently dormant and it also means buying Babycham. STILL NEED TO BUY BOTTLE OF BABYCHAM. THERE’s BREWERY WHO MAY NO LONGER BE AROUND (BEARS) OR AT LEAST SUFFER FROM POOR DISTRO, NOT SEEN ANY OF THEIR BEERS. 7 NEW BREWERIES OPENED IN 2017. TICKED OFF FOUR OF THEM BUT NEED TO TRACK DOWN THE TWO THAT I SPOTTED IN THE LAST WEEK OR SO (MAY TICK OFF ONE IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS IF I CAN GET OUT OF FAMILY STUFF/DIY).

Since joining I’ve noticed that the UK coverage for Places is pretty hit and miss. Certainly in my areas of Surrey and Hampshire so plan to visit as many pubs, etc, as possible and add were valid. Also a number of Places haven’t been rated for years so are due for a new rating. ADDED MORE PLACES THAN I GOT TO.

Will aim to tick off as many styles/countries as possible but no plans to travel abroad in 2017. DONE SOME.

In terms if the Protz 500 aim to tick off a few English beers I’ve yet to get: Larkins Porter (have to go to Kent for work but yet to find this Winter seasonal, at least at a pub that didn’t involve a 2 hour train journey and finding a taxi at some village station); Chiltern 300’s (my team are in the same league as both Aylesbury football teams so am due an away match) and the two Iceni beers (they don’t seem to get distro but going to Suffolk for a wedding). LARKINS TICKED OFF. GOT TO ICENI BUT IT WAS LOCKED UP WITH A BURNT OUT PORTACABIN OUT FRONT SO NOT SURE WHAT’s UP THERE. MANAGED THREE DUTCH TICKS, ONE GERMAN AND ONE BELGIAN.

2018:
#1 rater of Surrey beers and breweries. Get into decent figures for Hampshire and Berkshire.

Tick off all Styles - just need to track down some Lambic - Unblended.

More Protz 300 ticks - need to arrange a trips to Manchester and Birmingham for work. The latter has to be soon as I am after two winter seasonals.

Otherwise, just keep ticking.

1 Like

Get from 153 to 164 Ratebeer countries
Midyear: Currently at 160, should be able to reach this by the end of the year.
Now: :heavy_check_mark: 167

Get from 6 to 8 Canadian Provinces
Midyear: Trade with Canadian should help me reach this goal.
Now: :x: Trade still not completed

Reduce styles I have tried less than 5 beers from 5 to 0
Midyear: Still 5 left, goal still within reach, though.
Now: :x: Two left, both at 4

Reduce styles I have tried less than 10 beers from 10 to 5
Midyear: 8 left, I think this one will be reached.
Now: :heavy_check_mark: Four left!

Get from 905 to 1000 breweries
Midyear: Currently at 988, on target.
Now: :heavy_check_mark: 1079

Get from 288 to 320 Swiss ratings
Midyear: Currently at 315, on target.
Now: :heavy_check_mark: 344

Get from 78 to 100 Swiss breweries
Midyear: Currently at 97, on target.
Now: :heavy_check_mark: 109

2 Likes

1. Reach 1000 New York beers
    Done: 1413
  2. 100 countries
    Failed still 77
  3. Try not to bore (normal) people to death talking about beer
    Not really successful, from the looks I get occasionally
  4. Meet at least one more RBeerian (only Jow and Jmgreenuk so far)
    Done; had a fun evening with cgarvieuk and his family

1. Stay in top 3 for NY beers and breweries
  2. Reach 100 countries at last
  3. Fifty states in US (six remaining- Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi, Montana, Nevada, South Dakota)
  4. Try to spend less for beer