2019 Beer Goals + Year in Review

These were my 2018 goals:

20 countries with 100+ ratings: I’m going to be a bit more humble this year and hope that I can maintain the same pace in 2018 as I did in 2017. I have a few countries that I can safely get over the line next year: :czech_republic: Czechia (70), :estonia: Estonia (87), :hungary: Hungary (81), and :portugal: Portugal (68). I’m going to Hungary in the spring and the other three should be easy to accomplish once I move back to Amsterdam. Beyond that, I know of a couple of events coming up in Brussels next year that should give me some help on countries like :lithuania: Lithuania, Scotland, and :serbia: Serbia.

Swing and a miss. I managed to reach 17 countries with 100 or more ratings with a few new additions this year: :czech_republic: Czechia (100), :estonia: Estonia (104), :hungary: Hungary (120), and Scotland (103). I made significant progress on a few countries, including :ireland: Ireland (92; almost!), :switzerland: Switzerland (61), and :albania: Albania (16, though I don’t think the country even has 100 beers to rate at this point).

Reach 115 countries: I have no idea how the hell I’m going to manage this one, but I managed to overshoot this year’s goal by eight. I’ve reigned in my goal a bit from the pace I had this year, but why not, eh?

Not even close. I’m stuck on 98, which means that I didn’t manage to rate a single new country in 2018.

Enter the top ten in the country h-index: I loved this stat when I first read about it and find that I sit in 31st place at 27 countries with 27+ ratings. I have the second-lowest number of ratings on the top 100 list from that thread, so it’s pretty easy for me to climb up the rankings. As it stands, I only need to get that number up to 35. Easy!

Also no movement here, as I’m stuck on 27 countries, which puts me in 31st on the original post about the country h-index.

Now for my 2019 goals!

• Reach 20 countries with 100+ ratings: No point in stretching myself beyond last year’s goal. I will definitely get :ireland: Ireland (92) there and I think I could potentially get :switzerland: Switzerland (61) there, too. I’m planning a lengthy visit to :slovakia: Slovakia (15) in the spring for about a month, so that should also be possible, and the lady and I have been discussing a trip to :jp: Japan (44) later in the year that would hopefully get that country across the line, too.
  • Reach 30 countries on the country h-index: I’m currently sitting at 27 with a few countries that are in prime position to help boost my score (:australia: Australia, :finland: Finland, :iceland: Iceland, :lithuania: Lithuania, :new_zealand: New Zealand, Wales) as long as I play my cards right.
  • Reach 100 countries rated: I was excessively ambitious about this last year, so I think it would just be nice to finally get into the triple-digit klube.
1 Like