BotM Dec'23: Cellar Beer

I have very limited experience with aged brewdog, but has any of the ones with synthetic cork been actually ok?

I remember 3F used those for a time but stopped. Not a good sign but I am not sure.

haha, I started a new cellar - one that is better informed from my experience - when I moved to Baltimore. And, of course, I still have some Saison Brett from back in the day.

But keep that Free State until out next tasting :slight_smile:

How was it?

10 year old Beavertown stout. Wasn’t bad. Even the box had held up well :man_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

From what I have read the synthetic cork 3F is hit & miss. Possibly more often miss, but when you get a good one it is really good.

I have a theory that keeping beers dark (sunlight obviously skunks the beer) and the quality of the cork are the most important things when aging beer… For example Cantillon ages their beers in room temperature (if you have been in the brewery, you know what I mean. They have other facilities for aging, like the bomb bunker, but a lot of them are still aged in the brewery.) One of the more interesting aged beers that I have tried was random bock aged 20 years in room temperature. Hence I don’t think the temperature is as important as a lot of people think… Aging beer is interesting topic for me. Milk the funk has pretty good article about it calling out the bullshit (read: myths that are not based on any science): Aging and Storage - Milk The Funk Wiki

Cool site, thanks for sharing

Bridge Road/ Nøgne Ø Aurora Australis II, part of a 4 part "send beer across the equator by sea " experiment. Brewed 2013, released 2015, last tried 2020. A tripel aged in Australian “Port” barrels. Still more Muscat than Port. Lots of sticky grape flavours but less sweet than before. Slightly sour, quite a bit of spicy oak at the end. Some carbonation. Still really good. Still wouldn’t be rushing to open this if I had another.

4 Likes

2014 Crooked Stave Nightcap

4 Likes

2007 Deschutes The Abyss

4 Likes

2007 Avery Mephistopheles

3 Likes

How’s the Meph?

Wish we still got these Avery’s and other national beers. Now all we have are local IPAs

2015 Avery Rumpkin

1 Like

This has been in the garage for a long long time, at least 10 years, probably longer

5 Likes

Surprised that it still has a head. But I can’t imagine it being drinkable.

1 Like

Was a lively one and actually nice, a bit spicy, fruity and malty and quite boozy.

2 Likes

2007 Avery The Czar

6 Likes

Definitely a little oxidized, but still good.

6 Likes

No real head any more. Delicious nonetheless.

5 Likes