BotM Dec'23: Cellar Beer

aka Drink Your Old Beer

aka It’s Almost the New Year, So Drink Out with the Old Beer

6 Likes

I have been working diligently on this for the past 6 months. I think I have only something like 20 bottles not in the fridge.

2 Likes

Two deep down from my cellar

4 Likes

Keller beer! Love a nice, fresh… .wait…rotbox stuff…got it.
Lakefront Doppelbock, one of my favorites of 2022. Still really good, pinch of oxidization to give it that authentic German import taste. Going through New Glarus Unplugged/Thumbprints/R&D, have a pretty solid selection from the last 14 years.

5 Likes

Had a Batch 1 (2010) Parabola last weekend. Waited WAY too long.

3 Likes

I’ve a shit load needs drinking. Started the other evening with this relatively new stout (couple of years on it).

5 Likes

What a bottle. You empty that on your own?

Yeah :man_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes

Another not very old beer, but it’s still shite really.

6 Likes

Wild old cider bitches…

6 Likes

1999 J.W. Lees Harvest Ale

8 Likes

Proper shite. It’s like gravy. Synthetic cork :man_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

Mmm, gravy… Pour it on the poinsettia. Merry Christmas.

1 Like

2009 Avery The Czar

6 Likes

I’ve still got a bottle of that! Good to know :+1:

2 Likes

Good pick this month. This is a 2011 3 Fonteinen Golden Blend I’ve only had for a year or so - weirdly it was still available at a local shop. [edit - after drinking it, I went back and yes, they still have some.] This one is almost flat - the one I had in January wasn’t - but is deep and lovely. Lambics tend to have longer best before dates now, but this one supposedly expired in 2021.

6 Likes

Damn. I wouldn’t be upset to see this on my local shelves.

Red Duck RA #3. Not many liked it then but what is seen as legitimate in beer has broadened a bit since.

our own sour yeast, an extended mash, no boiling and a long fermentation process. It was made from spelt, oats, wheat and barley, as well as a apricots, sultanas, orange peel and spices including cumin, za,atar. No hops were used.

A weird one from 2014 and not changed all that much now - which was kind of what I expected. Lots of lemon, almost like a weak whisky sour. In the unlikely event you’ve got one, no rush.

--------[edit]
Firestone Walker Bretta Weisse - a 5/2017 bottle. I seem to recall a discussion here about whether Berliner Weisse is a sort of beer appropriate for ageing. IIRC, it went “It has to be fresh, preferably with rockin’ PNW hops” / “You wallopers know nothing”. Very erudite it was. This one is good - lots of apricots, old lemon funk, some twigs. Opened because the supermarket had 70% off Brillat-Savarin cheese because it was just past its best before date. No wonder I’m a fat bastard.

5 Likes

Dang, you guys still have beer cellars? Here’s what mine looks like:

3 Likes

2013 Crooked Stave Raspberry Dark Origins

G

2 Likes