BoTM - Sept '23: Oktoberfest / Märzen / Festbier

Oktoberfest it is. Märzen or Festbier, whatever. The actual thing starts on 16/9 but that’s OK.

3 Likes

This month I have rated 2 new fests. (Quite a few in August when they just hit shelves). I had Jacks Abby Breath of Fest Air their 3rd new festbier of this season. I also had Sierra Nevada / Kehrwieder Oktoberfest Festbier. Both were excellent and I gave 4.0s.

3 Likes

5 Likes

Those of us in the UK and EU are lucky this year as are able to get a full slab of the following festbiers from Lidl:

In a bit of a lager phase currently so these will go down a treat, all new beers for me.

4 Likes

Roppelt Märzen. Happy to have found a Märzen which is not simply cheap crap. A Franconian goodie!

3 Likes

Classic Sam Adams Oktoberfest at south station Boston

3 Likes

A staid but pretty good Bavarian one. I know I have refined tastes these days when I don’t equate swingtops with primo quality.

A strong, decent localish one.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Not so impressive.

1 Like

Who are the Bunny Brains??

Semi-improvised punk/noise rock group from Connecticut, mostly 90s, but still operating as Ultrabunny or Bunny Brains 88 in recent times. Capable of some nice noisy grooves but also painfully awkward humorous spoken word stuff. Will take a long time to listen to all of the cassettes. If you like Sonic Youth, Swell Maps with a dose of GG Allin they might be tolerable to you.

3 Likes

Fresh add. Malty and smooth

5 Likes

A couple of new locals. Both solid but not magic (from brewers that have been known to produce magic):
Hawkers Biergarten of Earthly Delights (Märzen)

Slow Lane Here and Now (Festbier)

3 Likes

5 Likes

Verdant Festbier

3 Likes

Some dogs in the manger:

Good Land Fest Bier. Says Festbier, then says Kellerbier. If I’d read more closely I might have paid attention to the “drink straight from the can” suggestion. An OK quaffer - their Märzen was better.

Weltenburger Spezial - is an Easter Fest Bier apparently? An up and down brewery for me - this is another one that didn’t really do much for me.

Then there’s the Märzen that’s so good RateBeer admins hide it from you to stop you from drinking the top of the style:

5 Likes

Glad someone started this thread!

I had a couple over the weekend, feeling them now that it isn’t nearly 100 degrees outside. I’ll throw some up here next weekend (if I could sign in).

Had a few of these

4 Likes

4 at a time Blind Oktoberfest/Festbier tasting. Was an awesome beer experience, great variation, a few not pictured here too.

6 Likes

Fox Friday Lounge Access - nice, but maybe a bit too hoppy to be convincing. A problem with this often dull style.

Burnley Märzen - but this one was a good one to end on - fresh with a good spicy smack at the end but still just a gulpin’ lager.

1 Like