China split

I guess since we might as well get these discussions going for future reference. Better to be prepared. So how do we do China?

Found this:
22 provinces
Anhui, Fujian, Guangdong, Guizhou, Hainan, Hebei, Henan, Hubei, Hunan, Gansu, Jiangxi, Jiangsu, Qinghai, Shaanxi, Shandong, Shanxi, Sichuan, Yunnan, Zhejiang, and, in the northeast (Manchuria), Heilongjiang, Jilin, and Liaoning),

five autonomous regions (Tibet, the Inner Mongolian Autonomous Region, the Ningxia Hui Autonomous Region, the Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, and the Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region),

and four government-controlled municipalities (Beijing, Chongqing, Shanghai, and Tianjin)

Is this right?

Well Tibet is separate country on RB…

Well ya, so axe that one. I forgot RB already freed Tibet. I’m not sure the Dalai Lama got the message yet, but he’ll be thrilled. :rofl:

Yes, that’s correct. Basically, all the provinces, autonomous regions, and the four municipalities that you’ve listed function at an equal level in the national government.

2 Likes

Cheers!

I guess the other question is probably naming conventions in English, how we want to do them. Is spelling etc. correct in the above?

For autonomous regions, can we drop that from title? Aka is it ok to just call it
Inner Mongolia
Ningxia Hui
Guangxi Zhuang
Xinjiang Uygur

Can actually strip it down even further:

Anhui
Beijing
Chongqing
Fujian
Gansu
Guangdong
Guangxi
Guizhou
Hainan
Hebei
Heilongjiang
Henan
Hubei
Hunan
Inner Mongolia
Jiangsu
Jiangxi
Jilin
Liaoning
Ningxia
Qinghai
Shaanxi
Shandong
Shanghai
Shanxi
Sichuan
Tianjin
Tibet
Xinjiang
Yunnan
Zhejiang

1 Like

Looks like the China listings could use some cleaning up. Some places that have closed a while ago.

I’d imagine so. Not sure there is an active admin there. If you see any, you can definitely alert admins in the breweries issues thread:

I suspect there isn’t an active admin, as I recognize some of the places that I had flagged before…

Depending on what the goal is for the site, it might be a good idea to plug that gap. My current list of craft breweries for Greater China (including Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan) is 425 and it’s ramping up. I’m trying to keep up.

1 Like

In anticipation of future split found this from Nanjing today

4 Likes

This looks good for a split, China is enormous. I’ve been through the brewery list… good news, at least 1 brewery in every province.

For clarity, here’s the list again thanks to FlightSensei19 above. I’ve removed Tibet as we have this listed as a separate country already.

Anhui
Beijing
Chongqing
Fujian
Gansu
Guangdong
Guangxi
Guizhou
Hainan
Hebei
Heilongjiang
Henan
Hubei
Hunan
Inner Mongolia
Jiangsu
Jiangxi
Jilin
Liaoning
Ningxia
Qinghai
Shaanxi
Shandong
Shanghai
Shanxi
Sichuan
Tianjin
Xinjiang
Yunnan
Zhejiang

3 Likes

List looks good. China split is long overdue.

FWIW. Tibet is listed as a separate entry due to the grandfather clause. It is the only country listed under this rule. Changes to the country list should normally be agreed between me, Oakes and joet.

1 Like

Unfortunately, very few craft breweries in China are large enough to export. Master Gao has been a pioneer in a number of ways. Great that they’re available in the U.S. If you ever get a chance to visit their brewpub in Nanjing, see if you can get their Jiahu ancient ale. Dogfish Head first came out with a version, called Chateau Jiahu. This year’s Master Gao vintage was just 200 bottles. I doubt any will make it outside of China.

1 Like

Repeating list here to make sure we get it right. Speak up if there’s an issue here.

Anhui
Beijing
Chongqing
Fujian
Gansu
Guangdong
Guangxi
Guizhou
Hainan
Hebei
Heilongjiang
Henan