County Stat Attack Week 12 - Surrey

Yeah I have had a few Disruption beers not seen the impy stouts yet only APAs and IPAs. They all have been ok, nothing blew me away but will certainly order more when I see them. I do struggle with Surrey rates so its been a nice way to fund a few.

I’ve heard on the grapevine that Kernel are expanding and have some premises lined up on the outskirts of Guildford for a mid to late summer relocation.

Presume you have the 400 or 500 Kernel rates to keep yourself in the Surrey top 30 raters Mark ?

I have heard that 400 or 500 Kernel rates can result in a form of psychosis that leads to the individual experiencing distorted reality. Apparently it’s the yeast.

Just found a couple of crumbs in my local Waitrose store: https://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/crumbs-brewing/33096/

<*))))))><

2 Likes

Yet I don’t think I’ve seen them in Surrey Waitrose.

I’ve picked up a few Crumbs in our Waitrose, perhaps they are only ‘exported’!

They’re in the High Wycrumbe one too. Does it depend on store size?

I have found the address for the new Brewing facility for By the Horns Brewery, so now a Surrey brewery. The Wandsworth site is to be redeveloped and will be a Brewery Tap with micro brewing facility.

2 Likes

That’s a nice bonus couple of Surrey rates for me! Now I just need Fullers to move to Rutland and M&S to go to the IoW… Meantime going to Worcestershire would be useful too!

Fuuuuuccccccckkkkkkkkkkk!

Although it did occur to me that I should check the Greater London Top 50 and I have indeed just snuck in:

1 Like

Kernel in July … mad Mitch be top Surrey rater

Is there a Kernel of truth to that?

1 Like

Continuing to catch up on County Stat Attack!

In terms of beer appearing on the Scotland market, from Surrey, I think all we’ve seen over the last 10 years has been Hogs Back and By The Horns, most likely in Nicolsons or Spoons.

However, earlier this year, being fewer than 10 rates from the Surrey top 50, I decided to see if it was possible to find a way into that particular elite club. The answer turned out to be the Redh online shop, where I picked up a load of, what I can only describe as, 50cl bottles. In this day and age of 44cl cans for £6 a pop, the idea that someone was still punting 50cl bottles through couriers (with the high chance of breakage), for under £3 a pop, seemed almost fantastic. And the quaint brewery names of Thurstons and Titsey gave me a nostalgic longing for a simpler, more innocent, pre-lockdown world.

Even after that wonderful adventure, Surrey is the county with 40th most ratings for me. I’ve tasted a mere 39 (now 41st position) at an average of 3.29 - not the bottom average but you can see the bottom from here. Most interesting, is that even though I’ve only rated 33 beers from Surrey, I have 2 high scores around 2 of my favourite styles.

Thurston’s Time Machine 4.2 (it’s an Old Ale)
Hogs Back OTT (Old Tongham Tasty) 4.0 (it’s an English Strong Ale)

Surrey - I’ve never been, and I’m not 100% sure it’s still a real place, but one day I’ll make the journey to find out!

7 Likes

I just spent a overnight last mid week in Walton on Thames, visiting for Jersey Bulls away game. Traveling with 3 other fans and arriving late morning they were game enough for me to drag them to 4 decent pubs, 2 of which were on the Thames & being it was a lovely sunny Spring day, they were highly enjoyable!
I came across a few new beers, some from Surrey to bring my total to 12 with a 3.21 average. 8 of which are from Hogs Back
Top - Hogs Back Hogstar & Hogs Back England Glory with 3.6
followed by Hogs Back OTT with 3.5
I added the 3 new decent pubs to the places directory. Best for beer was Walton Village on the High Street.

3 Likes

Glad someone has reviewed some Walton pubs. I live about 25 minutes away but have never been into one. One of those places that would have a craft bar if it was in Berks or Hants.

1 Like