Estonia split

Since it was brought up… not a huge priority, but considering that Estonia is one of the easier countries to tick…

Pretty straight forward: Counties of Estonia - Wikipedia

Not sure about the naming tho, I would prefer the old style names, so (15 counties total):

• Harjumaa
  • Hiiumaa
  • Ida-Virumaa
  • Jõgevamaa
  • Järvamaa
  • Läänemaa
  • Lääne-Virumaa
  • Põlvamaa
  • Pärnumaa
  • Raplamaa
  • Saaremaa
  • Tartumaa
  • Valgamaa
  • Viljandimaa
  • Võrumaa

Or the English version with county in the end, but then you can’t leave of the county part because for example address: “Tallinn, Harju, Estonia” is nonsense.

As far as I know we have one county without brewer and one has only retired gypsy. So 13 out of 15 have active breweries.

3 Likes

Note: I don’t know what charset rb uses internally, but special characters may still work if it is 8859-1 (none of the names contain ö, š or ž that require fancier char set).

Those Estonian spellings should all be fine in the database if that’s the charset we’re limited by. š and ž are unsupported but none of the counties contain those letters so that’s a non-issue in this case.

As an outsider I’m happy with the proposed split and using the Estonian naming. I mean from what I can tell it’s just adding that -maa suffix to how we’d say it in English. For example Harju County in English is simply Harjumaa in Estonian. Seems simple enough to me, no major confusions, and I think this looks cleaner than having County appended to each one.

1 Like

Given that I’ve never heard of a single Estonian county I’m sure having the maas is fine the way they are above.

Just checking that this is the correct, all-inclusive list we should use. Any problems here with spelling, any omissions?

Harjumaa
Hiiumaa
Ida-Virumaa
Jõgevamaa
Järvamaa
Läänemaa
Lääne-Virumaa
Põlvamaa
Pärnumaa
Raplamaa
Saaremaa
Tartumaa