Goodbye, Café Abseits

A big loss for all beer lovers. Even if it was not anymore an “epic” place as it used to be when Gerhard was the owner, it still hurts to see such an historical place closing.

I am pretty sure everyone here has good memories from Café Abseits and had a great time there.

It will be sorely missed !

2 Likes

Oh hell no, I always wanted to visit it, but never did. :frowning:

Sad news, I have visited twice.

Very sad news, even though it was not that good in the last year’s. Nevertheless, a big loss for the friends of great franconian brews!

1 Like

Breaking my long silence on RateBeer to inform all beer lovers out there that the former owner of Café Abseit, Gerhard Schoolmann, passed away today.

Everyone who had a chance to meet him in person know how friendly and passionate he was. There are lots of people here who visited him in Bamberg and were lucky enough to have a chat with him.

Indeed, when I met him, was thanks to Ratebeer. I posted something on the old forum about a two days solo trip I was doing in Bamberg and he invited me over to Cafè Abseits for the evening.

I will never forget that evening (especially because after so many beers it was sooooo difficult for me to communicate in German, but it didn’t seem to be a problem for Gerhard).

Ruhe in Frieden, Gerhard. :pray:

3 Likes

That is so sad. I traded beers with him a few times over the years and always enjoyed visiting Abseits. Rest peacefully.

1 Like

R.I.P., Gerhard… Met him unfortunately just twice, not at Abseits funny enough. Once at BRAUKUNST live in Munich and one times at Tag der Staffelsteiner Bierbrauer, his knowledge about Franconia and his passion about beers made every conversation with him great…

1 Like