RateBeer Forums

Hierarchy of categories

I know this has come up before but maybe not since things have changed? I’m talking about how beers should be entered stylewise.

I typically always avoid the vaguest categories when possible like flavored other.

AKA if it’s a mango kolsch I’ll enter it as Kolsch. But not necessarily if it’s a Mango Golden ale, in which case I’d do flavored fruit. For whatever reason I guess I’ve always thought that golden ales don’t have enough personality on their own to not be shunted over to fruit beer.

Then there’s the IPA/IIPA conundrum. I always put black IPAs in that category no matter if they claim double, triple black IPA. Likewise a double Brut would still be a brut.

But what about hazy flavored DIPAs? If it has an extra herb/vegetable/fruit I always put it as flavored (Unless it was a black IPA with chocolate or something, I guess, but I have yet to see one of those actually).

And double Red IPAs? Should they go under Imperial red or still just Red IPA? Or Double IPA? I’d lean towards one of the first two options, but this is kind of a vague area.

Also English IPA. Seems to me like if it’s a double English IPA, the English IPA category isn’t strong enough to hold onto it. Then again, since DIPAs were invented in U.S. this shouldn’t be a thing? But I’m sure there are some out there?

Finally Dark saisons with fruit. What takes precedence here, the darkness or the flavor added?

Expecting a civilized discussion here. :rofl:

A lot of this is actually covered by the style descriptions. In terms of IPA - all Reds, Blacks, etc, should go in that style, whatever the ABV. in fact if you do a search I belive there was a previous discussion about such things.

PS - a Quadruple Stout = a Quad?

1 Like

:rofl:

I think it’s varied in the past. Personally if the beer is dominated by fruit character rather than the base beer I’d say it’s a fruit beer. Saisons are a bit trickier, but probably a similar principal.

Well Saisons have a flavored category, which we can just drop all adjunct saisons in, so there is not much of an issue there.

This. If the adjuncts are dominant over the base style it probably needs to go in the appropriate flavoured category.

If it’s a mix of two styles it gets a bit more tricky. I recently had a soured oat pills (which was surprisingly nice). The pils character was probably slightly more prominent than the sourness. However, I thought that a true pils shouldn’t be soured, whereas a sour/wild can be an ale, lager or whatever, so I put it in the sour/wild category.

Of course, we could create a new style for every possible combo, but that seems a bit silly. I think the number of styles we’ve got at the moment is about right (although possibly, and to my disgust, white stout seems to have enough examples now to make a case for adding a style for that).

1 Like

Possibly a staple. Or a quoit.

1 Like

That’s why I haven’t rated it yet.

Adding it as a style would at least help me avoid these. Then again I’m still trying to drink milkshake IPAs that I hate so I reach 50… just a couple more to go now and I can banish them from my palette for ever.

1 Like

I don’t agree with this one at all. What information does categorizing something as a Kölsch convey? It could be a few things (which is why beer styles don’t work very well:

1. It is a type beer from Cologne (Kölsch is after all a protected name);
  2. It is made the way the popular beers of Cologne have been made for the past century or so; or
  3. It is similar to drink to those beers.
    Since Kölsch has “a very subtle fruit and hop character” the purported Mango Kölsch can’t really qualify because it’s got fruit in it. Calling it a Kölsch doesn’t inform the drinker of what sort of beer to expect.

I’d also stick https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/yeastie-boys-melon-balls/742637/ in flavoured because (despite them saying “Make no mistake – this is still a Dortmunder Lager but it is a deliciously fruity and refreshing one”) a Dortmunder Lager doesn’t have melon concentrate in it and a beer drinker would not be informed by categorizing it as such.

Similarly, like whereisthepath says, pils is not sour (nor oaty for that matter).

Perhaps you’re right… and Kolsch is maybe a bad example because it’s not really much of a strong-aroma style anyway. Plus, I feel like a good portion of brewers in N America call their lagers or golden ales kolsch when something goes wrong in what they were intending to make :rofl:

1 Like

Add To RateBeer

Add A Beer
Add A Brewer
Add A Place
Add An Event

Manage Your Account

Add Premium
Edit Profile

RateBeer Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter, RateBeer Weekly, a must for understanding new people, places and beers in worldwide craft culture.

Stay Connected

2000- 2017 © RateBeer, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy | Terms of Service