KyotoLefty 1000 Sake ratings

Kanpai! to @KyotoLefty on achieving 1000 Sake ratings afew days back, congratulations, that’s some milestone!!

13 Likes

Well done! Huzzah!

2 Likes

Omedetō

Was just thinking of should get myself a sake soon.

2 Likes

Mapping out the territory for the rest of us.

3 Likes

Congratulations. I quit sake ratings many years ago with 18 so I’ll never challenge that. I was the third rater to complete all (then) twelve sake styles in my quest to complete all the styles after (Josh) Oakes and Walt (RIP) completed them.
Someone who makes sake should make a KyoyoLefty 1K sake in your honor!

4 Likes

:+1:t2::beers::v:t2:

2 Likes

Congrats @KyotoLefty on such a huge milestone. Cheers, Shawn

2 Likes

Hot damn. That’s amazing. Congrats!

2 Likes

It would take the combined totals of next 5 highest raters to reach over 1K

7 Likes

When I got to 10 of every sake styles it was one of my proudest ratebeer stats. Very hard since I’ve never been to Japan (yet).

5 Likes

I’ll be in Japan for the first time in April/May on a cruise ship with five ports. I don’t know if I can get to any sake bars near the cruise docks after my wife and I are done with what we need to see but if I do I’m looking for sakes aged in cedar barrels like the tenranzan koten Old Heaven junmai koshu sake gave a 4.7 to in 2007 and it’s tied with 20 beers as my sixth highest rating ever!

2 Likes

I want to say this is the greatest single stat flaunt of all time. The road to 1000 Perry or Kvass rates would be my only comparison. Something you achieved not for yourself, but for others.

6 Likes

Thanks, everyone. Obviously living in Japan made this much easier than it would have been for anyone outside. Over the corona period, I decided to explore Japanese whisky, and also decided that beer and whisky were enough for my liver to handle, so I gave sake a break for a while, but lately I just made a push to get to 1000. If any of you come to Kyoto, I’d be happy to meet you for a few samples. With the weak yen and inflation everywhere, sake has become quite the bargain around here compared to craft beer.

11 Likes

That might be hard to find. Taruzake is around for sure, but most of it is just carelessly made stuff that only tastes of cedar and nothing else. Carefully made and subtle stuff is quite rare. If you want help finding places, let me know. I think only Kyoto, Kobe, Niigata and the Tokyo area have any sake places listed on RB.

2 Likes

We fly into Haneda Airport then transfer to our ship. We then visit Miyako, Aomori, Hakodate, Muroran, and finally Kushiro for 10-14 hours before leaving each evening. Maybe I can find a few places on Untappd.

2 Likes

Aomori and Hakodate are small cities and you should be able to find craft breweries in each. There was a brewery in Kushiro and I think it is still there, although I can’t promise the beers will be great. Miyako and Muroran are small towns. You can definitely find bottles of local sake anywhere you go. They will be different in each town, which is fun.

2 Likes

Congratulations again and thanks for the info! I’ll see how much time I have in the afternoons and post whatever I find on the “What ya drinkin’ XXIII (Part 2) thread that my friend Garthicus and I started many years ago and a few others keep going today. I’ll be cruising in the Mediterranean soon before I get to Japan, not beer trips, just retirement bucket list stuff!

2 Likes

Wow, congrats on 1000 sake ratings! :1st_place_medal: That’s truly impressive.

2 Likes

A truly impressive Stat,

1,000 of anything is good going, but Sake rates is incredible.

Well done and rest your liver for at least a week.

<*))))))><

2 Likes

This is bloody impressive, huge props!

3 Likes