Lambic questions

Not sure if thread for lambic related questions makes sense, but I do have two very different questions.

1. Is Hanssens Framboos same as Hanssens Experimental Raspberry? lambic.info seems to differentiate these without going into details.

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/hanssens-experimental-raspberry-frambozenlambik/104251/

1. 3F Framboos 2011 popped up recently in some beer shops. Price is a bit crazy. Does this come from the brewery or someone has been sitting on bunch of old Framboos bottles and decided to cash them in?

Not an expert here … but since no one else replied yet :stuck_out_tongue:

I think Experimental Raspberry is just the name they put on the US (international?) english label. Framboos is on the local belgian label. I assume its the same beer.

I heard the Framboos 2011 was released by Drikkeriget (distributor)…

2 Likes

Well lambic.info states: “was originally an export only product to the United States”

So the Framboos was potentially introduced to the local markets with appropriate wording later on.

Interestingly both Averages on Untappd are nearly the same (3.83 / 3.82) which could mean they are the same or is just plain coincidence :wink:

1 Like

Not sure if that was added after my post or I just missed it, but there is an alias for Framboos >> Frambozenlambik. Anyway thanks for the input guys. :slight_smile:

1 Like

More or less Lambic-related, regarding this one:
https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/timmermans-guinness-lambic-and-stout/655609/

Should the style not be “Sour / Wild Beer - Dark” instead of “Sour / Wild Beer”?

Yes.

I fixed it, since it is obvious bug.

1 Like

Another Lambic issue:

I read that Cantillon stated that the recent 2022 Lamvinus has a different variety of grapes than previous years. Shouldnt this be enough to actually make it a new entry. Talking about the November 2022 bottling.
Cheers, Mads

NEW CUVEE SAINT LAMVINUS 2022 AVAILABLE AT THE BREWERY THIS MONDAY 23/01/2023

Our Saint-Lamvinus cue was originally a combination of lambic and two grapes, namely Merlot and Cabernet franc. Saint Lamvinus has only been composed of merlot since the early 2000s.

For this 2022 version, the Saint Lamvinus cauve distinguishes from the previous ones by exceptionally consisting this time of three crop crops: Merlot (55%), Black Grenache (35%) and Syrah (10%).

It is a purely accidental event that brought us to this exceptional harvest: two days before the harvest of the vineyards intended for the production of our Vineyard, our friend winemaker Thierry Demarne (Domaine de Ventajou, Minervois) learns that the transport of fruit to Cantillon is canceled. In the meantime, it was necessary to avenge the viognier as soon as possible. It was too late to find another transport and the grapes for our winery were sold to a local customer. No winery this year then 🙁

However, in return, Thierry offered to send us two more crop crops, red and later: black frog and syrah.

The bold combination of our lambic with merlot - always from Côtes de Bourg - and these two new vinegings yield an excellent result and bring more complexity, freshness and delicacy to the beer. An experience to be repeated!

I have a bit mixed feelings about this.

As the text indicates they have used different grapes in different batches historically before, so this is not unique for only this batch. They also didn’t change the front label, which to me indicates JVR still thinks that in essence it is the same beer. So I would lean to keeping it as one entry… except I’m not 100% sure what to make of the last sentence.
It indicates that they will repeat this grape mix, but will it be under St Lam name? Will they stop making Merlot only version? Will they start rotating the grapes? Without additional information/data points it is very difficult to decide the correct action.