Moving to Virginia

It’s been no secret to the UK contingent, but my time here after four years is coming to an end in July. My next home will be in the Hampton Virginia area (JB Langley-Eustis). I’ve been in this area before as close friends live in Williamsburg, but is there any RateBeer contingent there or other beer related meetup/interests I should keep an eye on. Cheers, Shawn

3 Likes

Looks like you are entering a beer desert in Ratebeer terms. I am sure you’ll find someone to drink with though.

<*))))))><

The Nova folks are really active and I think there are a few in Charlottesville.

Already reached out to a few in BMs, they just aren’t active on forums.

How have you settled in?

Yes, have gotten out to several breweries and a beer fest. Have not met up with any other RBians yet tho.

1 Like

Glad to hear it. Hope you can connect with some fellow RBians before too long!

You got to go north, as the DC crew is quite active (for RB standards).

2 Likes

I would be in for some DC trips based on planning. Was supposed to go up this weekend, but was under the weather.

2 Likes

Just checked, you are long way from the Aslin Brewery, but near the sea!

I’ve had 37 Virginian beers, not too shabby as I’ve never been.

<*))))))><

1 Like

Beer52 club did at least 1 Virginia box a year I believe. Plus the Veil was offered a lot in places in UK.

1 Like

My selection appear to be random hits, Aslin, Hardywood and Lickinghole Creek being the most drank.

<*))))))><

For sure head up to DC, and contact the amazing Ratebeerians there when you do. The drive is a pain, but there are some good breweries along the way (Center of the Universe, for one). Many breweries and cideries in rural northern Virginia and Maryland as well.
There used to be a daily C-12 from Langley to Davison Army Airfield at Fort Belvoir with a ground shuttle that would take you to the Pentagon, and you can catch the Metro there. No idea if it still runs. 45 minute flight beats a four to six hour drive any day.

2 Likes

Let @solidfunk @nimbleprop or me know if you ever make it up to the DC area, we’re usually good at least trying to get the group together.

Aslin is (or was at least planning to) open a location at the Virginia Beach waterfront. There’s an Veil location in Norfolk.

Offhand, without looking it up, my favorite breweries near Hampton VA are:

• Precarious Beer Project (WIlliamsburg VA)
  • Commonwealth (Virginia Beach)
  • Aleworks (Williamsburg VA)
  • New Realm (Virginia Beach) is worth a visit, though those are classified as Georgia beers.

There’s a ton other that are good in the area, worth reviewing the place map here on RB.

Richmond isn’t too far from Hampton, worth a day or weekend trip. Stone RVA, Final Gravity, Bingo, Vasen, Hardywood, Veil, etc. A few decent cider places like Buskey or Blue Bee.

Same with Charlottesville. A few good places to visit, also very scenic if you’re into nature.

Probably forgetting a ton of places in this post.

3 Likes

Commonwealth Commonwealth Commonwealth. I love that place and their beer. Probably my favourite Virginia brewery though Vibrissa (formerly front royal) impresses me with every beer they have.

New realm is a beautiful place, the former failed attempt of green flash to expand to east coast. Unfortunately the beer is absolute trash. Consistently below average. A pity. But the place still worth a visit. Precarious is good. Richmond is full of great options (veil, Bingo, Stone has a beautiful location there, triple crossing and vasen is pretty good). And the Vietnamese place of course.

But ya VA beach is all about Commonwealth. Let us know when you come up to DC. If we can’t muster a mini tasting we can at least try to bomb the tap list at Churchkey. And there’s a new aslin location up the street from there now.

1 Like

Virginia Beach is on the wrong side of the bridge for me. :joy::rofl::joy:

@radagast83 and @solidfunk said it: we taste occasionally and can likely coordinate a decent meet up with a little bit of advanced notice.

1 Like