New country stat

(Significantly higher than my academic h-index, which is a sad comment on my priorities)

Lucky number 7

19, interesting.

4 Israelis in the top 100. Nice.

Huh? I’m going to bed!

Looks great! Also much easier for @henriksoegaard to maintain :sunglasses:

1. And that is MUCH higher than my academic h-index. But come on, how easily can you get new beers, and how easy is it to write an impactful paper? :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, with an h-index of 22, you’re quite badass in my field.

So easily. And so difficult. :frowning:

16 for me

I cant see how to sort this type of list. If sorting isnt possible its no use for this.

No use? So you honestly think your way is more readable? Fair enough but I don’t think anyone else likes reading this spread out over 5 posts with only a mere space to separate each field.

Separating multiple groups of numbers with a space is not a good way to present such data. And in many European countries, they use a space instead of a comma or full stop as a thousands separator. I find your way of presenting this data confusing at best, which is a shame because it’s a cool stat that I enjoy seeing, and given the number of responses it looks like many others do too. I don’t think the lack of sorting is a valid reason for writing off the proper way to present this data, which is as a table.

If you’re not going to do tables then at least format as code to preserve tabs and spacing.

For example

Nr. of countries	Ratings
1	omhper	45	25765
2	yespr	41	47728
3	Fonefan	39	51186
4	Ungstrup	37	38515
5	Saxo	36	19523
6	koelschtrinker	36	21560
7	HenrikSoegaard	35	14621
8	oh6gdx	35	26485
9	Joergen	35	29257
10	Camons	34	13338
11	chrisv10	34	18533
12	Oakes	34	18892
13	Rasmus40	34	22000

But this still doesn’t read as easily as a table in my opinion.

You misunderstand. I am not talking about presenting the data. I am talking about editing the content of the data, I cant see how this works unless I take a new edited version from the exell ark and create a new version of your (very nice) presentation of the data. And at the moment I cant figure out how to do that. I havent used much time so far to check though.

Ahh ok, my apologies. Without knowing your exact workflow for this I’m not sure what would be the quickest/easiest way to do it. Just carry on what you’re doing for now, I appreciate the work gone into it regardless of the readability! If I figure out a simple way to handle this I will let you know.

1 Like

Sitting at 20

As a stopgap, feel free to use this quick’n’dirty webpage which will convert your plain text tables into the fancy markup, which I presume can just be pasted straight into the forums:

http://87.119.188.75/perl/ftable.pl

Sample output on the text pasted straight from the first post:

Rank Username Nr. of countries Ratings
1 omhper 45 25765
2 yespr 41 47728
3 Fonefan 39 51186
4 Ungstrup 37 38515
5 Saxo 36 19523
6 koelschtrinker 36 21560
7 HenrikSoegaard 35 14621
8 oh6gdx 35 26485
9 Joergen 35 29257
10 Camons 34 13338
11 chrisv10 34 18533
12 Oakes 34 18892
13 Rasmus40 34 22000

There’s very little smarts, it simply rewrites each line in the input, and barfs if it can’t find the 4 expected fields in any of the lines. Smarts can be added if needed.

1 Like

Did you hardcode that to 4 columns? It doesn’t really need much logic other than replacing \t with | and then also prepending and appending | to each line. The amount of \t in the first line can be used to determine how many fields there are to create the header part and the rest is just a case of what I just said.

I wrote a fairly basic old markdown table converter/generator thing some time ago I’ll have to see if I can find it again. Until now yours should be good enough. Mine also had optional stuff like alignment that other folks might find useful.

EDIT: Found it. Someone made one here: https://www.tablesgenerator.com/markdown_tables
This is why I didn’t flesh mine out, someone already did a better job. (Just click on File -> Paste Table Data) and copy and paste from Excel or Google Docs or whatever you’re using. @henriksoegaard check this out. Should help you immensely.

For this task, yup:
my @rows = split(/\s*\n\s*/, $text);
my @wrong = grep { !/(\d+)\s+(.*?)\s+(\d+)\s+(\d+)/ } @rows;
Source: http://fatphil.org/beer/ftable.pl.txt

With just a VERY brief check on a few in the US - obviously Travlr is tops with 51 with djd07 a distant second at 36, and jtclockwork and yespr at 35.

I just jumped into the top 50 with 26 countries :sunglasses:

20 for me, not bad.