New RateBeer Investment

Untappd Will never be an option for me. Then it Will be nothing. But I would really like to know how I secure my ratings since I can expect any bad thing from now on :-/

3 Likes

You need to be a premium member to download your rates, but why jump ship today? Hang on for the ride. It might not be so bad and RateBeer is still indeed the best site to rate beers on.

6 Likes

Don’t get me wrong. This site has given a big contribution to the scene and is still a source of inspiration for many of us (otherwise we would not be here). RB is a reliable source of information when it comes to places and knowledgeable reviews. Still, we cannot deny that first comes the love for beer, then eventually a beer rating system or a beer forum. If Ratebeer will die one day (and we do hope it never will), we will still enjoy beer, maybe rating somewhere else or just drinking for the sake of it. :beers:

1 Like

Access database, started developing this 15 years ago, data goes here before going to Ratebeer:

One of our friends sometimes double dips RB and UT; he first writes the long review on RB, on UT he writes the first 75, then adds “comments” till he has written everything.
People should really start keeping their own reviews, if they care for it, in something like Google Sheets, then they can post to whatever rating website is the flavour of the month, and not care if UT accepts only short comments.

3 Likes

Going to see what happens, especially ad none of the alternatives appeal (signed up to Untappd but have only ticked one beer).

But, yeah, will download my ratings.

2 Likes

Sad.
Maybe it´s time for thinking in the development of a completely new site.

5 Likes

I just earned my thank you and appreciated badges.

2 Likes

This is correct! I like how you focus on the positive. The stats on this site and the few friends I have made has kept me here.
I started backing up my ratings just in case ABinbev shuts this down. But either way I will go down with the ship.
If I visit Nebraska again, you will be the 1st to know. Love that White Elm!!

4 Likes

With all due respect to silent users who note their ratings only on a database, if all of you could do that instead of posting to a public site to compete with others and check your current place in the leaderboard, why haven’t you done it before? Are we all rating just for the sake of innocent public who should have an idea of what to choose when in a bottle shop? Come on, you can think and act high and mighty, but how will you boast of your latest findings when you only have your lonely excel sheet to put it in? :joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

I won’t be contributing to the site any further. @joet would you please remove my admin rights. I don’t bear any ill will towards you - it’s just not a thing I want to be part of any longer.

No doubt I’ll still be checking in once in a while to keep in touch with old friends. Those friendships will endure.

28 Likes

First, having been a part of or been friends with people who undergo the process of building up something like this and then taking investment or selling completely, I know we all owe Joe thanks for everything he has done. The volunteers who over the years kept the database clean, added photos, banned trolls and kept the servers running deserve our thanks as well.

The investor could have been a better one i.e. not InBev but I think outside investment / sale was inevitable at some point.

I’ll keep putting ratings here as I try new beers and hope RateBeer continues to exist for many years to come. The best part about this site is the people who rate beer and contribute and I enjoy reading beer reviews more than writing them these days. I hope the community doesn’t die with this news but that’s not up to me or InBev.

6 Likes

Sorry to see you go Chris.

<*))))))><

8 Likes

There is a huge opportunity here for someone to start a new independent site.

8 Likes

That’s the spirit John.

I too will be hanging around, wouldn’t join Untappd, will not re-join BeerAdvocate and I’m no wizz kid with computers or databases. My rates here are my database!

<*))))))><

6 Likes

So I guess this means no Ratebeer house in Belgium :sleepy:

1 Like

You will most definitely be missed. :frowning:

4 Likes

Of course, we can all debate and speculate about AB-InBev’s motives for acquisition 'til the cows come home. Personally, I’d have thought that any craft beer enthusiast would be understandably suspicious. Selling a chunk of the business in exchange for much-needed development resources is one thing. Selling the whole kaboodle is something rather different.

I can see why people that are heavily invested in using the site to keep track of their beery activity, and don’t see attractive alternatives, would want to continue doing so, with or without misgivings. But I couldn’t really conceive why people would be prepared to continue donating their time gratis to the upkeep of a business wholly owned by a global giant like AB-InBev and, at the very least, contributing to their wider commercial interests in one way or another.

13 Likes

Working for free for the venture of a subsidiary of a multinational corporation that openly mocks craft beer and those who “think” about their beer is pretty silly…especially on a “craft beer” website.

11 Likes

I completely agree. I do not think the sale bodes well for the site’s future but maybe that is part of the plan. Even if it is the devil’s wish to keep the site going, Ratebeer’s credibility is shot to pieces now.

2 Likes

Nail in the coffin. It was fun for a while folks. Can’t blame ownership for cashing out as the ship is obviously sinking. Gonna export and delete all my ratings and find them a home somewhere else in the future.

11 Likes