New RateBeer Investment

And it it was AB In-Bev’s goal to implode the sight all along, they know this and no doubt anticipate the admin - who have been the workhorses of this site - to abandon ship with this news. Could have been part of their plan.

5 Likes

Perhaps greater resources means developers who know how to properly test and deploy code. That’ll be great for the dozens of active users left here.

8 Likes

The cynical part of me thinks ZX has owned the site in full since the original announcement and they ‘softened’ the blow.

I have the chops to build a site of my own. Wish I had the time.

2 Likes

I’ve met countless interesting people through RateBeer, some I consider (good) friends nowadays. Without joet’s work on this website that would never have happened.
So Joseph, I hope you did get a good payout for your work and I wish you nothing but the best.
As for my involvement, that hasn’t been so big the last years anyway. We will see how things develop.

4 Likes

Long ago (when I could still remember how to do it) I made a similar database. Lotus Approach though !!!

1 Like

I don’t think JoeT is working for free… unless you meant the raters/users are working for free.

1 Like

I will miss you the most

1 Like

And the admins!

6 Likes

would love to find a new home as well but I doubt we can build up something new. But I’d be willing to donate a few bucks toward it.

2 Likes

I’m not leaving until I turn 21. That’s RB years.

5 Likes

Is it outside the realm of possibility to start a crowdfunding campaign to build a fresh new site from scratch? With a decent app?

Seems to be a lot of computer wizards on here, and everyone seems to be chucking their money at breweries these days.

The lack of any meaningfull improvement since the initial announcement, alongside all the bugs, even the place map not working properly, has been reason enough to believe the end is nigh.

For the record, i will remain on the site. I just hope Im given a chance to save my ratings before it sinks

3 Likes

This is very sad to hear Chris.

2 Likes

I’m an IT and believe me, build something at the same level of RB from the scratch would take a long time and require some resources with different profiles. :wink:
The ideal would be building something on top of a framework… But, even though

If you don’t have the option to download them because you are not Premium, somebody can easily build a script that downloads them one by one

1 Like

If this is the case, perhaps the move would be to join an existing site. Have people every checked out thebeerspot.com

I think if the big time users moved from here to there, we would be in very good shape.

2 Likes

As far as I can remember, RB provides some REST Web Services which you can use to “read” information from. I’ll check it later at home and I tell you

1 Like

I’d be interested in that, too. Ratebeer has gotten worse since the ZX investment, not better. This place is a joke anymore.

4 Likes

I’m not an expert in web development, but yes, there are some APIs used by Apps developers, you need to ask a key to Joe.
https://www.ratebeer.com/api.asp

"You may not use the RateBeer API to replicate or compete with core products or services offered by RateBeer. "
“You may present the RateBeer Data only on a transactional basis. You will not permit your users to access the RateBeer Data in bulk.”

1 Like

1 Like

I’m looking for something that will download my place ratings…

1 Like